Nursing Program Admission
You've worked hard in school and you're ready to pursue your dream of becoming a nurse. But you're worried about getting into a great nursing program. Here's some good news: Calvin has increased the number of students who will be accepted into the nursing program, and we've expanded opportunities for early admission to the program. That's good news for you and for the world!
Here's how to apply.
Are you a high school student interested in nursing?
You don't want to miss out on Calvin's excellent nursing program. To earn a bachelor of science degree in nursing (BSN), you need to be admitted to Calvin University and to the nursing program.
- Apply to Calvin
Starting August 1 before your senior year, you can apply for admission to Calvin. Be sure to indicate nursing* as one of your academic interests on the application.
- Early admission requirements for the BSN program
When you apply to Calvin and indicate an interest in nursing, we will evaluate your standardized test scores (ACT or SAT) for early admission to the nursing program. Your ACT score must be 24 or above, or your SAT above 1190 to receive early admission. If you don't meet these requirements now, you can also apply to the nursing program during your sophomore year at Calvin.
- Discover Calvin for yourself
You are invited to schedule a campus visit to tour our high-tech labs and find out about clinical opportunities. Be sure to ask to talk with a nursing advisor, too!
- Confirm your plans
Once you are admitted to Calvin, submit your enrollment deposit to confirm your place in the class. If you receive early admission to the nursing program, your enrollment deposit will hold your seat in the program.
To keep your early admission status, you must maintain an overall Calvin GPA of 3.3, as well as a 3.3GPA in any pre-nursing courses.
* If you did not indicate nursing on your Calvin application, and would like to be considered for early admission, please contact the nursing department.
Are you a current Calvin student who wants to join the nursing program?
If you didn’t meet the early admission requirements, there are a few steps that you need to take to be admitted to the nursing program.
- Meet with a nursing advisor
If you indicate an interest in nursing on your application to Calvin University, your faculty advisor should be from the nursing department. Together, you will determine a class schedule. Questions? Contact the department.
- Take relevant courses
Your freshman and sophomore year, you’ll experience classes in biology, chemistry, and psychology. These classes will be excellent preparation for the nursing program or for another major in healthcare.
- Apply to the nursing program
At the beginning of your sophomore year, you can evaluate if you meet the requirements (see below) to apply for the nursing program as a Calvin student.
Requirements to apply for the nursing program as a Calvin student
If you don’t have guaranteed admission status, you may still apply to join the nursing program. You must have:
- at least sophomore standing (greater than or equal to 27 credits) at the application due date.
- completed six nursing prerequisite courses at the application due date.
- a minimum overall Calvin cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 at the application due date.
- a minimum pre-nursing Calvin GPA (GPA acquired from the nine pre-nursing courses) of 2.8 at the application due date.
- a minimum grade of C on each of the prerequisite courses at the application due date.
- no more than one repeat per required nursing prerequisite course. No more than two of the nursing prerequisite courses may be repeated.
- no more than one withdrawal across the nine pre-requisite courses except for documented extenuating circumstances.
- be 18 years of age or older by September 1 of the application year.
Are you considering transferring to the nursing program at Calvin?
We’re excited that you’re considering Calvin’s excellent nursing program! Because there is a separate application for the nursing department, we want to make sure you’re following the right steps.
- Contact the department
Since each student is different, we’d like to personally evaluate your situation. We’d be happy to talk through your transcript and experience. Contact us today.
- Apply to Calvin
Using the transfer application, be sure to apply to Calvin as early as possible.
- Discover Calvin for yourself
You are encouraged to schedule a visit and talk with a nursing advisor in person. You can tour our high-tech labs and find out about clinical opportunities. When you receive your offer of admission from Calvin, submit your enrollment deposit.
More details about transferring
Students who have transferred to Calvin from some other college or university will be considered Calvin students (rather than as transfer students) if they will have completed two semesters of full time academic work at Calvin by the time they begin the upper division major.
Students desiring to transfer to Calvin for the upper division major, who have completed course work judged by the department to be equivalent to the nine required pre-nursing courses, will be considered for admission to the nursing program after qualified students from Calvin have been accepted into the program.
Applicants for admission, who are graduates of Calvin, will be given equal consideration for admission with current Calvin students.
The Calvin University Department of Nursing is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and meets all Michigan Board of Nursing requirements. We have not determined if our program meets all requirements of other states. If you wish to practice outside of the state of Michigan, your academic advisor will be most willing to collaborate with you on this. You may also consult this website for further information https://www.ncsbn.org/14730.htm
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.