Nursing is incredibly challenging, but it is even more rewarding. There is nothing like conquering the challenge of all that I have to learn, and then going out the next day and using that knowledge to help real people.” — Rachel VanderWall '15
Our accredited nursing program combines vital foundational knowledge in science, healthcare practices, and practical clinical experience in community settings. Small class sizes means that you’ll get plenty of personal attention from our experienced Christian nursing faculty.
Admission to Calvin's nursing program is competitive: it accepts 64 students each year to the program. Most students apply to the program in their sophomore year after completing nine prerequisite courses. See admissions requirements.
Careers in nursing
Once you graduate with a BSN degree, you will be prepared for all acute care, community care, and ambulatory care roles of an RN. A partial listing includes:
- Ambulatory clinic nurse
- Cardiac care nurse
- Case management nurse
- Correctional facility nurse
- Critical care nurse
- Emergency nurse
- Geriatric nurse
- Home health care nurse
- Hospice nurse
- Labor and delivery nurse
- Long-term care nurse
- Medical-surgical nurse
- Missionary nurse
- Neonatal intensive care nurse
- Occupational health nurse
- Oncology nurse
- Pediatric nurse
- Psychiatric nurse
- Public health nurse
- Rehabilitation nurse
- School nurse
- Travel nurse
You are also prepared for graduate school where you can get advanced degrees for roles that include the partial listing below:
- Certified nurse midwife
- Nurse anesthetist
- Nurse educator
- Nurse practitioner
- Nurse researcher
Get started at the Career Center.
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
See ways to experience Calvin nursing.
- Participate in Calvin Nursing Association
- Participate in nursing department committees
- Be a student nurse mentor
- Volunteer at local hospitals, blood banks and senior centers
of 2018 nursing graduates were employed or in graduate school one year after graduation.
Participate in this program designed to help all nursing students prepare for the nursing boards exams
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Calvin University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaacreditation.org).
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.