In Calvin's outdoor recreation programs, it's all about re-creation. By getting out of doors, out of your context, you can start to discover truths about who you are and who God is as you explore the world he has made. Outdoor rec isn't just a way to escape—it's a powerful way to learn, and the discoveries you make you'll carry with you for the rest of your life.
- Sign up for all trips and events at the Climbing Center desk. Trips sign ups are on a first come basis.
- All trips require a Wednesday 4-5pm Outfitting and Information session at the Outfitting Center (south bay of Track and Tennis Building).
- Calvin Outdoor Rec provides all instruction, outfitting, transportation, and food. Students are required to provide layers, personal hygiene, proper footwear, rain gear, and personal snacks.
- Students with special dietary needs or food allergies will need to coordinate with trip leaders on menu. Students may be asked to supplement costs for additional food.
|September 4-6||Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Backpack||Monday Aug 30 by 4pm||$20||10|
|September 11-12||Pine River Canoe and River Kayak Weekend||Tuesday Sept. 7 by 4pm||$20||12|
|September 18-19||Manistee Backpacking||Wednesday Sept. 15 by 4pm||$30||12|
|September 25-26||Sleeping Bear Dunes Kayaking & Hiking||Monday Sept. 20 by 4pm||$30||11|
|October 2-3||Northen Michigan Mountain Biking||Monday Sept. 27 by 4pm||$20||12|
|October 8-12 (Fall Break)||Pictured Rocks Backpacking||Monday Oct. 4 by 4pm||$90||10|
|Oct. 16-17||Zero Waste Manistee Backpacking trip||Monday Oct. 11 by 4pm||$40||10|
|Nov. 13||Calvin Climbing Comp||Thursday Nov. 11 by 4pm||$10||60|
|Nov. 10||Grand Canyon Spring Break Backpacking Info Meeting||December 1 (full amount due by check)||$550||18|
Opportunities for adventure
Wilderness orientation »
- Begin your Calvin career with an extended backcountry trip to the Rockies, North Channel, Red River Gorge, or Algonquin.
- Adventure grants let you create the outdoor experience you've been dreaming about. Organize a group, plan a trip, apply for funding, and start packing.
- Don't just head home for your fall weekend—pack it with fun, fellowship, outdoor adventure, and all the skills you'll need to do it again.
For-credit courses »
- Integrate adventure into your academic pursuits. Climbing, backpacking, road cycling, canoeing, sea kayaking, fly-fishing, downhill skiing, snowboarding—all are offered as for-credit courses.
Indoor rock climbing »
- Instruction, programming, and open climbing in the Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex.
Interim courses »
- Rainforest expeditions in Costa Rica and Panama, outdoor education in the Grand Canyon, road biking in Australia—these are just some of the places we've gone in recent years. See where we're headed to this year and sign up for the adventure of a lifetime.
Professional internships »
- Learn about for credit and professional development opportunities. We've placed students with places like National Outdoor Leadership School, Wilderness Medical Institute, Rescue 3 International, the American Mountain Guide Association, and the American Canoe Association.