In Calvin's outdoor recreation programs, it's all about re-creation. By getting out of doors, out of your context, you can start to discover truths about who you are and who God is as you explore the world he has made. Outdoor rec isn't just a way to escape—it's a powerful way to learn, and the discoveries you make you'll carry with you for the rest of your life.
|Jan 3-11||Wilderness First Responder|
|Feb. 9||Adventure Club: Adventure Grant Launch; Intro to Adventure Grant Trip Planning/Permitting|
|Feb. 16||Winter Backpacking Seminar – Hoogenboom 280 7pm-8:30pm|
|Feb. 20-23||Adventure Grant Consulting (Sign Up for a Time at the Climbing Center)|
|Feb. 24||Adventure Grant Trip Applications and Plans Due (Climbing Center)|
|Feb. 25-26||Winter Backpacking (Sign Up by Feb. 15 and attend Feb. 16 Seminar)|
|March 4||Adventure Club: Wilderness First Aid Seminar|
|March 11||Adventure Club: Wilderness Skills Seminar|
|March 17-26||Adventure Grand Spring Break Trips|
|April 6||Adventure Club: Micro Adventure Films|
|April 10||Banff Mountain Film Festival ($10 student price)|
|April 22||Climbing Comp ($10 – sign up at Climbing Center|
|April 21-23||Wilderfest Spring Trips (Sign Up at the Climbing Center)|
|April 25-26||Wilderfest Spring Trips (Sign Up at the Climbing Center)|
- Grand Ledge Climbing ($20)
- Manistee River Canoe ($30)
- Manistee River Backpack ($30)
- Beak River White-Water Kayak ($30)
- Red River Gorge Climb ($60)
- Northern Michigan Cycle ($40)
Equipment rental, outfitting and cycle maintenance March 1–May 4
- Monday 3:30–5pm
- Thursday 3:30–5pm
Pool Kayaking February 7–May 4
- 8–9PM Pool to river class
- 9–10PM Open paddle
- 8–9PM Open paddle
- 9–10PM Kayak water polo
Pool to river kayaking course (5 week course); Tuesdays 8–9PM.
Sign up at the Climbing center desk. This five week course brings students from basic paddle strokes and kayak safety to kayak rolls. This course intends to provide students with skills necessary to bring their hard shell kayaking skills outdoors.
- Course 1: February 7–March 9
- Course 2: March 28–April 18 (this section includes a 2 hour paddle session)
Opportunities for adventure
Wilderness orientation »
- Begin your Calvin career with an extended backcountry trip to the Rockies, North Channel, Red River Gorge or Algonquin.
- Adventure grants let you create the outdoor experience you've been dreaming about. Organize a group, plan a trip, apply for funding and start packing.
- Don't just head home for your fall weekend—pack it with fun, fellowship, outdoor adventure and all the skills you'll need to do it again.
For-credit courses »
- Integrate adventure into your academic pursuits. Climbing, backpacking, road cycling, canoeing, sea kayaking, fly-fishing, downhill skiing, snowboarding—all are offered as for-credit courses.
Indoor rock climbing »
- Instruction, programming and open climbing in the new Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex.
Interim courses »
- Rainforest expeditions in Costa Rica and Panama, outdoor education in the Grand Canyon, road biking in Australia—these are just some of the places we've gone in recent years. See where we're headed to this year and sign up for the adventure of a lifetime.
Professional internships »
- Learn about for credit and professional development opportunities. We've placed students with places like National Outdoor Leadership School, Wilderness Medical Institute, Rescue 3 International, the American Mountain Guide Association and the American Canoe Association.
Adventure club »
- Prepare yourself for an unforgettable experience with Calvin's Adventure Club. From throwing down in Red River Gorge to paddling through the Pine River, Calvin's Adventure Club has it all.