Connect. Collaborate. Create.
The Arts Collective program fosters a collaborative approach to creative listening, making, and problem solving within Calvin’s community of arts-invested learners. The program values cross-disciplinary perspectives, diverse ways of knowing, and creative production that brings restoration and renewal.
Applications for the fall 2024 incoming Arts Collective cohort are still open: Apply by February 12.
In your first and second year as an Arts Collective member, you will explore your calling as a creative through shared courses, arts activities, and place-based learning and travel. Arts Collective members represent a variety of backgrounds and academic disciplines: you don’t have to be planning to major in the arts (visual, performing, or written) to be considered for the Arts Collective!
As an Arts Collective cohort member, you will:
- Explore topics such as arts and vocation, creative restoration, visual culture, place-based creativity, cross-disciplinary collaboration, and leadership in the arts.
- Collaborate with other members of your cohort to make, perform, and exhibit work that reflects upon your curiosities, questions, and current issues.
- Travel to arts destinations with Arts Collective cohort mates and faculty, exploring new cities as you take a place-based approach to creativity.
- Connect with the vibrant arts scene at Calvin and in Grand Rapids. Opportunities include field trips, films, performances, exhibitions, open studio nights, and cohort gatherings.
Arts Collective Program Map
Arts Collective students take courses together to fulfill several Calvin Core (general education) requirements. Here is a sample of the set of courses you might take with the AC:
- Fall: Arts Collective Community and Commitments (CORE 100) and Visual Culture (ART 153)
- Spring: Christian Theology (REL 131)
- Fall: Arts and Rhetoric Core course (e.g., Music Appreciation)
- Spring: Literature of Faith (ENGL 250)
- Travel: Head off campus to explore an arts-centric city with staff or faculty from the AC. The travel course will earn elective credit and take place in your second year.
- Events: Attend six arts-based events sponsored by the Arts Collective during each of your first two years. Events range from workshops to studios to guest speakers to field trips off-campus! In your third and fourth year, participation will be optional but encouraged.
- Involvement: Be part of at least one campus arts group for a minimum of two semesters during your first two years.
- High school seniors planning to enter Calvin University in fall 2024.
- Students who wish to participate in arts activities while at Calvin or intend to study in arts-related academic programs such as art, creative writing, graphic design, film and media, and music.
- Students must be admitted to Calvin in order to interview for a cohort. Apply for the AC today and be sure to submit your Calvin application, too.
Applications for students starting at Calvin in fall 2024 are open!
If you are starting Calvin after 2024, please send us your information (see form below) and we'll invite you to apply when the application is open to you. Email email@example.com with questions.
Do you know a student who would thrive at real-world research? Share this via email:Share this opportunity