Academics / Departments & Programs / Geo / Academics / Environmental Science and Studies
Environmental Science: Naturalist Track
Environmental Science: Naturalist Track, Environmental Science: Natural Resources Track, Environmental Studies Major, Environmental Studies Minor
Gain a deep understanding of environmental issues. Apply your knowledge and skills to solve real-world problems in fields like environmental consulting, conservation science, and land management.
Choose from two tracks that will prepare you for your unique career goals. Interested in an environmental career, tackling issues like soil erosion and water pollution? Consider the Natural Resources track. Drawn to a career as a park ranger or field technician? The Naturalist track will prepare you to thrive as an environmental interpreter.
And your studies won't take place only in the classroom. As an environmental science student, you'll be part of a program where you’ll get outside and put your learning to work. You might work to restore local waterways, study the ecology of the Great Lakes dunes firsthand, or take an intensive course on field techniques in land management.
Take the next step:
Environmental Science: Naturalist Track
Environmental Science: Natural Resources Track
Environmental Studies Major
Students graduating from this program will:
- Understand the relations among God, humanity, and the nonhuman creation as revealed in the scriptures, in theology in general, and Reformed theology in particular
- Differentiate various schools of environmental philosophy and ethics and articulate a differentiated Christian environmental ethic
- Understand the interdependent structure and functioning of physical-ecological systems at a variety of scales and their dynamic character even apart from human influence
- Understand the interdependence and interconnectedness of environmental and societal change as well as the history of domestic and international responses to environmental degradation
- Know the interplay of factors that result in human-induced environmental change, including human population, poverty, affluence, and resource consumption
- Understand the spatial patterns of human-environmental interactions
- Know the basic structures of environmental policy and law that pertain to specific environmental issues (water quality, climate change, biodiversity protection, etc.)
- Be able to prioritize environmental issues in terms of their threats/impacts on social and environmental sustainability.
Dr. Jamie Skillen (email@example.com) is the program advisor and will be responsible for the student’s overall academic progress, with particular attention to core requirements and various electives.
Majors will also have an advisor from the department of the chosen discipline. The disciplinary advisor will be responsible for work that the student does in their disciplinary track.
Environmental Studies Minor
Beyond the classroom
Off-campus study is an important part of the GEO program. You could study in places like Hawaii, Montana, and beyond. Learn more »
Graduate studies in GIS
The Master in Geographic Information Science (MScGIS) is a graduate degree that can be completed in just 3-5 semesters. Learn more
Family income distribution for students applying for financial aid.
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Apply to Calvin
It all starts here! We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. All completed applications receive equal consideration.Start your journey × CLOSE DRAWER
Find the visit option that works best for you and get a taste for life at Calvin!Browse Visit Options Launch the virtual tour × CLOSE DRAWER
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.
Costs & Financial Aid
Families from all economic backgrounds—many just like yours—are making Calvin work. Scholarships, grants and loans are the tools that make Calvin possible.Explore financial aid & Scholarships How much does Calvin cost? × CLOSE DRAWER