Academics / Departments & Programs / Pre-Professional Health / Academics / Pre-Physician Assistant
Take the next step:
Some PA schools require up to 2,000 hours of direct patient care experience. Calvin’s pre-professional health advisors can help you identify facilities in Grand Rapids's extensive medical community where you can gain the experience you need.
Calvin graduates have attended physician assistant graduate programs such as University of Iowa, Yale University, Central Michigan University, Emory University, Grand Valley State University.
This program is part of a family of health science programs, many of which share a common course foundation. To learn about other options in the health sciences, see the Health Sciences page.
Applying to PA programs
Over 120 PA programs now accept a generalized application. Some programs, however, require a supplemental application form to be sent directly to the program. You can find information about a school’s specific application requirements at each program’s web site.
You should begin the generalized application at least four weeks prior to your first deadline. Programs beginning in May often have application deadlines in October, so plan well in advance of deadlines.
What happens next?
- Clinical training programs are typically two years in duration (if they include summer courses). Some accredited programs offer baccalaureate degrees, most offer a master of science degree. For a complete listing of the educational programs, visit American Academy of Physician Assistants ».
- Upon graduation from a training program, you will take the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination to become a "Physician Assistant - Certified."
- Once certified, ongoing training is required. You must earn and log 100 continuing medical education hours every two years and sit for a re-certifying exam every six years to retain your credentials.
- Full Profile
- (616) 526-7620
- DeVries Hall 129 | Map
Find hands-on experiences
Connect with Calvin's Service Learning Center to find a clinical experience that matches your career goals. Learn more »
A world of possibilities
This program is part of a family of health science programs, many of which share a common course foundation. Learn about other options in the health sciences »
Family income distribution for students applying for financial aid.
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Apply to Calvin
It all starts here! We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. All completed applications receive equal consideration.Start your journey × CLOSE DRAWER
Find the visit option that works best for you and get a taste for life at Calvin!Browse Visit Options Launch the virtual tour × CLOSE DRAWER
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.
Costs & Financial Aid
Families from all economic backgrounds—many just like yours—are making Calvin work. Scholarships, grants and loans are the tools that make Calvin possible.Explore financial aid & Scholarships How much does Calvin cost? × CLOSE DRAWER