Academics / Departments & Programs / Engineering / Student Experience / Internships
Take the skills you've learned in the classroom and apply them in real-world experiences by completing an engineering internship!
In the banner picture, Benjamin Mars worked as a Hydraulic Systems Intern at CNH Industrial.
Fiona Miller, class of 2022, was a Field Tech Intern at Prein & Newhof in Grand Rapids, MI. She said, "my work involved working with SAW (Stormwater, Asset Management, and Wastewater). We open 30-40 manholes a day and take measurements, videos and conditions of the pipes."
Andrew Hung, class of 2022, researched, analyzed, and introduced Cold Climate Heat Pumps to new markets for Solutions for Energy Efficient Logistics (SEEL, LLC). He also assisted on the SEEL Solar and EV Chargers Projects.
Scott Alan Davis, the Director of Energy Access and Equity at SEEL, LLC, shared, "Andrew was a complete delight to work with and to be around. His positive energy, innovative ideas, and solution-based contributions were highly appreciated and valued. I was proud to work with him more because I am an alumni of Calvin University."
By completing an internship, you will not only gain valuable hands-on experience, you will begin to build a professional network to grow your future career!
Requirements for Internship Credit
In order to receive transcript credit for an internship, students must complete the following items:
- Enroll in ENGR 385 Engineering Internship or ENGR 387 International Engineering Internship
- A minimum of 140 hours of engineering-related work during the semester
- Complete the Internship Student Agreement form
- Create an internship plan with supervisor to determine training and goals
- Write a mid-term reflection and final report about the internship experience
- Design a final project
- The final project for summer interns is to create a poster (Engineering Poster Policy and Guidelines) and present it at the Internship Poster Session, which happens during the fall semester.
- Final projects for fall and spring interns vary. Example projects include conducting an informational interview, writing a blog post of the internship experience, creating a dream job description
Here are just a few examples of the companies Calvin students have had internships with:
- Medtronic Physio-Control
- Decc Company
Grand Rapids, MI
- Johnson Controls
- Halla Climate Control Canada
Belleville, OT, Canada
- SDI Consultants
Oak Brook, IL
- Pharmacia Corporation
Do you have the ability to place an intern with your company/employer? Please contact:
Engineering Internship Coordinator
- Science Building 150 | Map
Summers of research and experience
The engineering department hosts an annual internship exposition designed to acquaint the Calvin community and the general public with the internships and research activities of our engineering students. These students are encouraged to prepare posters that describe their experience as an intern or showcase their research discoveries. Topics vary from wastewater treatment in Wisconsin to Mercedes Benz shock absorbers in Nigeria or bagasse charcoal filters being developed here at Calvin. The posters are put on display in the lobby and wings of the engineering building where students meet with visitors and describe their work.
This year’s past poster fair was held on Friday, October 15 and was a great success. There was a large turnout with many underclassmen hoping to learn more about potential summer opportunities and how engineering applies in a real-world context. The opportunity gives current students the opportunity to share their excitement and summer experience with the rest of the Calvin community.
Take the next step:
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Apply to Calvin
It all starts here! We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. All completed applications receive equal consideration.Start your journey × CLOSE DRAWER
Find the visit option that works best for you and get a taste for life at Calvin!Browse Visit Options Launch the virtual tour × CLOSE DRAWER
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.
Costs & Financial Aid
Families from all economic backgrounds—many just like yours—are making Calvin work. Scholarships, grants and loans are the tools that make Calvin possible.Explore financial aid & Scholarships How much does Calvin cost? × CLOSE DRAWER