Calvin engineers solve problems in the real world. And in an energy-hungry society, one of the ways you’ll make a significant difference is by solving those problems sustainably.
Adding a sustainability designation to your degree means you’re committed to a bigger vision of what you can do as an engineer. It means everything you create takes into account the impact it will have on the people and places around you. It means you’ve immersed yourself in courses that analyze the most pressing environmental challenges and opportunities. And it means you embrace Calvin’s unique understanding of engineering as a way to serve, heal, and restore God’s creation.
It also means you’ll be well-suited for the job market. As more and more companies understand the importance of efficiency and sustainability, you are sure to stand out from the crowd.
Students may receive a sustainability designation by completing all of the following:
- ENGR 184 - Sustainability Challenges
- a three or four SH sustainability-themed course,
- ENGR 384 - Analysis of Sustainability Engineering Systems, and
- Participate in a sustainability-related practical experience (e.g., internship, research, or senior design project).
The courses currently approved as sustainability-themed courses are:
- Sustainable Energy Systems (the mechanical senior special topics course)
- Advanced Topics in Chemical Engineering (the chemical senior special topics course)
- BIOL 364 - Global Health, Environment, and Sustainability
- CHEM 270 - Environmental Chemistry
- ENGR 306 - Principles of Environmental Engineering
- ECON 233 - Economics of Energy and Sustainability
- ECON 232 - Sustainability Economics
- ENST 210 - Human Impacts on the Environment
- GEO 352 - Urban Planning for Sustainable Communities
- HIST 274 - Environmental History
- CHEM 270 - Environmental Chemistry
Any questions about the current list of approved sustainability-related courses or what practical experiences qualify for credit should be directed to the engineering department sustainability designation coordinator.
The Clean Water Institute of Calvin University
Calvin’s Clean Water Institute engineers unique, creative solutions for communities in need. Change lives by helping restore clean drinking water to communities around the world.
Add an international designation
An international designation on your engineering degree gives you an edge with employers everywhere. At Calvin, you can study abroad and still graduate in four years.
Family income distribution for students applying for financial aid.
You can afford a Calvin education.
You’ve heard a lot about the high cost of a university education. But a Calvin education is much more affordable than you think. Most Calvin students pay far below the sticker price—and graduate with less debt than you might expect.
A reputation for excellence.
There’s a reason Calvin gets top marks from U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and more. Calvin graduates are in demand at grad schools, med schools, and careers in every field.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.