Take the skills you've learned in the classroom and apply them in real-world experiences.
Over the summer, students had the opportunity to gain industry experience in various internship positions, all over the country. Below are a few students and their experience.
In banner picture, Benjamin Mars worked as a Hydraulic Systems Intern at CNH Industial.
Fiona Miller, class of 2022, was a Field Tech Intern at Prein & Newhof in Grand Rapids, MI. She said, "my work involved working with SAW (Stormwater, Asset Management, and Wastewater). We open 30-40 manholes a day and take measurements, videos and conditions of the pipes."
Nathan Hall, class of 2020, had a summer internship at Boeing in St.Louis, MO. He worked in tool engineering for the F-15 to design new and maintain old tools for those who worked on the shop floor.
Along with a reference for future employers in your specific field of engineering, you'll return with new, first-hand knowledge of the world where you solve problems. Explore the range of placements in west Michigan, across the country, and even around the globe.
Requirements for internship credit
The internship must consist of engineering work at an appropriate level for a minimum of nine full-time consecutive weeks. Students must:
- Provide a written report of their activities under the signature of their supervisor to the internship coordinator, and
- Make a formal presentation of the internship work done during the fall semester. This is typically done at the Internship Poster Session every October for returning sophomores and juniors. Seniors are asked to give oral presentations to first-year engineering students and students on an international internship will give a department seminar. (Posters are to be created electronically using the Engineering Poster Policy and Guidelines.)
Here are just a few examples of the companies Calvin students have had internships with:
- Medtronic Physio-Control
- Decc Company
Grand Rapids, MI
- Johnson Controls
- Halla Climate Control Canada
Belleville, OT, Canada
- SDI Consultants
Oak Brook, IL
- Pharmacia Corporation
- Goldschmidt AG (Division of Degussa)
- Rockwell Automation
Arecibo, Puerto Rico
- Sulzer Repco B.V.
- ENGR-185 First-year Internship
- ENGR-285 Sophomore year Internship
- ENGR-385 Junior year Internship
- ENGR-387 International Internship
Do you have the ability to place an intern with your company/employer? Please contact:
Summers of research and experience
The engineering department hosts an annual internship exposition designed to acquaint the Calvin community and the general public with the internships and research activities of our engineering students. These students are encouraged to prepare posters that describe their experience as an intern or showcase their research discoveries. Topics vary from wastewater treatment in Wisconsin to Mercedes Benz shock absorbers in Nigeria or bagasse charcoal filters being developed here at Calvin. The posters are put on display in the lobby and wings of the engineering building where students meet with visitors and describe their work.
This year’s past poster fair was held on Wednesday, October 14 and was a great success. There was a large turnout with many underclassmen hoping to learn more about potential summer opportunities and how engineering applies in a real-world context. The opportunity gives current students the opportunity to share their excitement and summer experience with the rest of the Calvin community.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin's dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.