Calvin's Asian studies program offers multiple options to gain experience outside the traditional classroom setting. From various off-campus programs to internships, there are many opportunities you can take advantage of to enhance your learning experience.
A significant part of studying a language is learning to speak it—which is why Calvin is committed to giving you as many opportunities as possible to practice. As a student studying Asian languages at Calvin, you will attend regular conversation group sessions with an advanced student leader. Conversation groups are held on a weekly basis and are arranged in class.
Off campus programs
The Hubers Asian studies program offers you various for-credit opportunities for travel to China, Japan, and Korea. There, you'll improve your communication skills by creating relationships with the people whose language you are studying.
Get involved in an internship
The Asian Studies Program can arrange for any of our outstanding Chinese or Japanese Language majors to do an English-teaching experience in either China or Japan. Summer interns would have to pay for their own airfare, but we would attempt to arrange homestays with Chinese or Japanese families, so that housing and some meals would be covered. Students doing such an internship would, however, have to pay for some of their meals as well as other living expenses.
Broaden your knowledge of Asian culture by attending one of the department's cultural events, held at various times throughout the year. For more information, check the department events page.
South Asian Student Association
- The South Asian Student Association (SASA) exists to the South Asian student community spiritually, mentally, physically, and academically. We also invite the broader Calvin community to celebrate the cultures we represent: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.