Students can take part in faculty-led research projects over the summer. Recent projects including the geography of Eritrea, mapping terrorism threat and investigating coastal dunes. Positions include a $3,700 stipend for 10 weeks of summer research.
Watch for postings through these programs and in the GEO Department in January and February to apply for a summer research position.
Academic Year Research
GEO majors regularly assist professors with their research during the academic year. Recent projects have included Columbia Basin ecosystem management, coal deposits in Alaska, and Michigan coastal dunes.
These research positions are usually paid, though some may be worked into for-credit independent studies. Speak with your advisor or other GEO faculty member to find out about academic-year research positions. Also, watch bulletin boards and GEO department e-mails for position postings.
GEO majors are also encouraged to pursue research opportunities with agencies outside of Calvin University. Watch GEO bulletin boards and talk to your professors to learn about external research opportunities.
Past research has included:
- Summer of 2014: Joel Betts worked through the Au Sable institute to study the effects of dam removal on stream ecosystem health.
- Summer 2010: geology major Adam Koster worked in Houston, TX, as a Lunar and Planetary Institute rocks from MarsSummer Intern.
- Summer 2008: geography major David Young worked in Hawaii as a part of NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship Program.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.