Why choose environmental science?
- Active, fulfilling lifestyle
Environmental Science gives the opportunity to do much more than sit behind a desk or work in a lab, hands-on fieldwork and sampling are included in many positions
- High demand, and well paying jobs
The job market for environmental scientists is growing quickly, and offers very good pay.
You can be a part of the solution for many of the critical problems that our world is facing. Contribute to the global effort to restore, and preserve our planet.
Careers in environmental science
Park & Outdoor Recreation Management
Promoting a healthy lifestyle and environment, contributing to the livability of communities, and informing policy, economic development, and stewardship at local, national, and international levels.
- Implement community recreation and sport programs
- Manage natural and cultural resources
As our human population continues to increase, forests and other natural resources are valued more for the serenity they provide, the organisms they support, and the products they produce.
- Creating, managing, conserving, and repairing forest resources
- Applying ecology, GIS, and environmental sciences
- Managing demand for timber, fuel, water quality, habitat, recreation, employment, and environmental wholeness
Provide legal council to clients on a broad range of environmental issues.
- Advocating contested matters before regulatory agencies
- Environmental civil actions
- Energy related issues
- Permits, agreements, reports and other documents to ensure environmental compliance
- Cities, colleges, corporations, development groups, farms, gas stations, and private land owners
Fishery & Wildlife Management
Institute effective solutions to complex systems at local and national levels.
- High demand field, with good pay
- Fish and ecosystems
- Teaching, research, management
Land & Water Conservation
Conserve irreplaceable lands and waterways, and improve outdoor recreation opportunities across the nation.
- State and local efforts
- Preserve natural areas, historical sites, and wildlife habitat
- Quality outdoor recreation for all
Facilitating decision making to carry out land development with consideration given to the natural environment, social, political, economic and governance factors to achieve sustainable outcomes.
- Social and economic development
- Urban, and regional development
- Natural resource management
- Infrastructure systems
Environmental Eduation & Communication
Educate the public about important environmental topics and ways of responding to issues, and help communicate the scientific discussions to a wider audience.
- Teaching in informal settings
- Written, oral, and electronic communications
- Government agencies, nature centers, parks, nongovernmental organizations, and similar institutions.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.