There are many ways to get involved in Calvin’s biology community and gain experience in biology outside the traditional classroom setting. From faculty-led research opportunities to biology-related student organizations, you can deepen your study in the biology program at Calvin. Learn to love the intricacies of God's creation.
- Calvin’s biology department offers a special research program for a select group of first-year students. You’ll gather bacterial viruses called phages, isolate them, and analyze their unique genetic code.
Undergraduate student research
- Beyond the research you'll do in your biology courses at Calvin, you can apply to assist professors with paid research during the summer or throughout the year. Opportunities are available in every biological discipline, from human health to botany and environmental stewardship.
- Find an internship in the Grand Rapids area during the school year. During the summer, travel to other exciting places like national parks and research institutes to do paid internships. You can receive course credit for your internship, and it may lead to a great job after graduation.
- Each year the biology department employs dozens of students as laboratory assistants, research assistants, biology web writers, and more.
Community involvement and environmental stewardship opportunities
- Calvin's biology department is deeply involved in environmental stewardship and restoration projects. Find opportunities to work on ecosystem restoration projects, rescue native plants, plant rain gardens, eradicate invasive species, and more.
- Serve, learn, and participate with other students and faculty who are interested in issues related to biology by getting involved in these student-run organizations.
- Let biology—and Calvin’s biology professors—take you around the world to study diverse ecosystems, from the Great Lakes forest of northern Michigan to the volcanoes of Hawaii.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.