Wildrik Botjes Planetarium
The Botjes planetarium is a fully operational model of the solar system completed in 1868. It is on display in North Hall.
Enter North Hall through the southeast door. The planetarium is opposite the door.
- A Grand Rapids, Michigan, map with directions to the Calvin University campus.
- A printer-friendly campus map in PDF format.
Orbits of the Planets
- See how the planetariuim can predict the motion of the planets.
Motions of the Sun and Moon
- While the planets model shows the earth orbiting the sun, this model shows the perspective from Earth.
The Celestial Sphere
- The celestial sphere is a model for the two-dimensional direction to the stars.
- The planetarium has kept the time of day and day of the week for 130 years
Mechanism and Restoration
- Discover what makes the Botjes planetarium tick.
History of the Botjes Planetarium
- The Botjes Planetarium has traveled across continents and been passed down the generations.
- Wildrik Botjes constructed another planetarium with some modifications to his earlier design.
- See how planetariums and models contribute to the scientific mission.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.