A history major equips you with skills to communicate effectively. Here you'll find some of the resources you need to develop the skills and virtues necessary to the work of a historian.
Guides for writing papers
These guides are intended as quick references to writing papers according to the Chicago Manual of Style, the authority for academic citation that is most often used in history writing. Many other disciplines use Chicago-style citation, but be sure to check with your instructor about which method (Chicago, MLA, APA, or something else) is preferred in your class.
- Format and Citations for History Papers
- Sample Citations
- Chicago Manual of Style
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
- How to format citations
- Knight Cite citation generator
Academic honesty and the proper citation of sources are especially important for historians and are required of all history students. We expect our students to exhibit honesty, integrity, fairness, charity, and civility in discussion and debate with others personally and professionally, and to avoid plagiarism and other forms of intellectual dishonesty. Refer to the Student Code of Conduct (section VI) for more information about Calvin's policy on academic dishonesty.
Recommended reading for historical research
- historyprofessor.org This site has useful resources on reading (both primary & secondary sources), writing (topic sentences, thesis statements, outlines, etc.) and historical research.
- Corfield, Penelope J. "Why History Matters" Institute of Historical Research, 2008.
- Fea, John. Why Study History?: Reflections on the Importance of the Past. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2013.
- Rampola, Mary. A Pocket Guide to Writing in History7th ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2012
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.