Faithfully exploring God's Earth and its systems, since 1967
Our professors are committed to the integration of faith and learning, both in the classroom and in the field. We approach the study of geography, geology and environmental studies with a Reformed Christian worldview. The Bible and its themes of justice, restoration and reconciliation drive us to be environmental stewards. Together, we help students explore the magnificent planet God has entrusted to us.
Learn more about our faculty.
The GEO department hosts extensive samples of mineral, rock and fossils, a vast collection of maps, a dedicated geo-spatial analysis lab, drones, an on-campus research sand dune, a seismograph, a weather station and much, much more.
Students conduct academic-year and summer research with professors. In recent years, students have studied:
- Lake Michigan coastal dunes
- Excavation, curation, and analysis of a late Pleistocene mastodon
- creating a web application for the Plaster Creek watershed
The GEO department hires more students than any other department. Students are hired yearly for a wide variety of positions, including:
- Managing the map library
- Developing the department's website
- Maintaining the university weather station
- Organizing and cleaning fossil, rock and mineral collections
- Overseeing the department's seismograph
- Assisting professors during classes and labs
Off-campus study is an important part of the Calvin University experience. In addition to Calvin's variety of semester-long programs, the GEO department offers interim (January and May) courses in Montana, Hawaii, Kenya, Scotland, the Netherlands, Ethiopia, and Yosemite National Park.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.