Gain experience, expand your learning opportunities, and earn money by working for the engineering department.
There are many advantages to working while a student. Students that have experience as a lab assistant, grader, or research assistant have excellent employment opportunities to list on a résumé or a grad school application. The engineering department typically has at least some of the following positions available every semester:
- Assist engineering faculty in lab.
- Assist students who need help in their lab projects.
- Must have previously completed the course for which they are grading with a grade of B or higher.
- Grade student homework and quizzes for various engineering courses according to the grading key given by faculty.
- Must have previously completed the course with a grade of B or higher.
- Assist engineering faculty with research grant and with tasks assigned by the professor.
- More about current research positions may be found on Calvin’s STEM Division website.
- Provide the administrative assistant and departmental faculty with assistance in various administrative tasks.
How to apply for an engineering department position
Applications are accepted in the engineering department office at the beginning of every semester. Go to Handshake to see all available positions. Fill out the application on Handshake and include a copy of your résumé and class schedule for the upcoming semester. Applications without a copy of class schedule will not be considered.
Other employment opportunities
Engineering students are often sought out by other departments on campus. The mathematics, physics, and chemistry departments often hire engineering majors as graders and lab assistants. The academic services office is always looking for engineering students who are willing to tutor other students. The Career Center also provides resources for finding employment.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.