Careers & Outcomes
The communication program equips students with the skills to work in a variety of fields. As the third most popular program among graduates, communication is one of the most flexible and widely-applicable areas of study you can pursue.
Leading by example
The ability to communicate clearly and thoughtfully, as well as mastery of a specialized media skillset, will make you a top competitor in the job market. Get ready to do transformative and redemptive work in the developing world of communication.
of 2016 communication graduates had an internship while at Calvin.
of 2018 communication graduates were employed or in grad school a year later.
program chosen by Calvin students.
Explore potential careers
Learn to write meaningful and effective content for new media, decode the technological basis of internet systems, and discover how design elements create powerful web pages with a major in digital communication. The modern world is quickly reorienting itself around online communication and companies need people who understand how the web brings people together. Build your skillset, and you can launch yourself into this diverse, rapidly evolving industry.
- Channel your abilities into a career in web development where you can oversee the rise of new internet companies, manage online accounts for a non-profit organization, or develop the next big thing in social networking.
- If you see the world through more artistic glasses, you could find yourself with a career in web design, influencing the look and function of the Internet and creating new websites from scratch.
- Acquiring technical software and database skills could have you working as a data analyst for technology companies, social researchers, or even law enforcement agencies like the CIA.
Film and Media
As a communication major you have the opportunity study audio/visual media and how it communicates in film, television, radio, new media platforms, advertising, and other digital media arts. The rise of online video hosting services, podcasts, independent film studios, video advertising, and other digital media production centers is making these creative and technical skills more relevant every day.
- The film industry is one of the largest players in the global entertainment field, and its value is growing by the billions every year. Film majors go on to produce big-budget movies, compelling social justice documentaries, influential advertisements, and countless other multimedia ventures. Jump-start your career by working with filmmakers in Grand Rapids, collaborating on projects with your professors, or even completing an internship in Los Angeles.
- As new web companies start to produce high-quality television content to compete with cable company giants, television studios are evolving to keep up. Use your production skills to break into this rapidly developing field.
- Other institutions like youth ministry, nonprofits, and eCommerce sites need creative individuals who know how to use digital media to reach a diverse array of audiences.
Effective leaders must first be effective communicators. Strategic communication majors learn how to articulate ideas clearly, argue logically, listen carefully, and unify groups of people under a common goal. Authentic and effective communication skills have universal application, and many graduates find themselves working in exciting and lucrative fields.
- Law professionals must be able to argue and articulate clearly as they can have major influence on local, national, and global policy.
- Being a business leader means being able to collaborate with others and communicate your ideas in order to bring about action.
- A career in government service would put you in a position to be the voice for both a powerful governing body and the everyday people who elect it.
- The field of ministry needs leaders who can speak clearly to a wide variety of listeners.
- Counselors rely on their ability to have deep, meaningful conversation with clients and make a real difference in countless lives.
- Non-profit management and fundraising requires strong persuasion and storytelling skills.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.