At Calvin University, we explore things—all things. We don't mind getting our hands dirty as we explore every nook and cranny of the world God has given us.
In the biology department at Calvin, we respond to God's call to investigate the diversity, organization, and functioning of the living world and seek to provide a Christian model for its study, care, and keeping. Whether it's in the lab doing cell cultures or in a field planting seeds, we do our work with utmost care, knowing what and whom we are working for.
The biology department at Calvin offers a BA and BS in biology, a major in biology with a neuroscience concentration, a major in environmental health and conservation, several minors, education programs, and pre-professional programs. Each program integrates academic study with hands-on work in the laboratory or in the field. Opportunities to study biology outside of the classroom are many and include assisting professors with research, doing internships with local companies and organizations, and traveling off campus to study biology in a different context.
of biology students participate in undergraduate research with a professor
Research and technology grants awarded to the biology department since 2005
Students who take part in the biology department's programs have countless opportunities to develop important skills in the classroom, in the laboratory, and in the field.
Students assist professors in their research, make presentations at seminars and conferences, and take part in off-campus internships.
Our 15 full-time faculty members are dedicated Christians and scholars. We also:
- remain dedicated to relating the Christian faith to the whole learning process.
- make teaching our first priority, an effort consistently recognized for its depth, scope, and innovation.
- maintain leadership roles in professional organizations and participate in diverse areas of research and scholarship through which we mentor our student collaborators.
- are active researchers in our fields, contributing scholarly work to journals and other publications and presenting at professional conferences on a regular basis.
Our facilities support investigative, hands-on learning and innovative research with state-of-the-art technology. The facilities include:
- A 55,000-square-foot facility with 10 research labs, 10 teaching labs, a greenhouse, an aquarium, and an insect propagation room.
- A 104-acre preserve of temperate deciduous forest, wetlands, and nature trails.
- State-of-the-art technology for biology research, including a DNA sequencer, a flow cytometer (one of only four in western Michigan), and cell culture facilities.
- The Flat Iron Lake Preserve 25 miles northeast of Grand Rapids.
- Herbarium and museum which houses nearly 8,000 pressed plant specimens, thousands of insects, and hundreds of mammals, birds, and reptiles.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.