Academics / Departments & Programs / History / Student Experience / Internships
Gain experience outside the classroom and immerse yourself in our local community by finding an internship with the history department. You'll have the opportunity to partner with organizations such as museums, historical societies or local non-profits in the Grand Rapids area.
Looking for a summer internship?
Try Handshake. Many opportunities are listed in this job posting service for Calvin students. Want to earn credit for your internship? Talk to Professor Kate van Liere.
History 393: History Internship
HIST-393 is an internship course specfically for history majors offered each spring semester. By special arrangment, it can also be taken as an independent study in the summer or fall semester. In this course, you will secure an internship and work 140 hours in organizations such as museums, historical societies, or local non-profits.
For additional information, contact Professor Kate van Liere.
Secure an internship
- Apply for internship position(s) directly with the employers early in the fall semester
- Submit your HIST 393 application to the history department by November 15
- Secure an internship position by January 1
- Work in your internship position 10 hours/week for 14 weeks (total 140 hours)
- Triweekly group meetings with internship director
- Statement of responsibilities and learning goals (1-2 pages)
- Weekly reflective journal (about 1 page, or 300 words, per week)
- Final reflective essay (about 15 pages total)
- Submission of written work completed for employer (if applicable)
- Performance evaluation by internship supervisor
Where to find an internship
In recent years, Calvin history students have interned with organizations such as the Grand Rapids Public Museum, Michigan Historic Preservation Network, and Kentwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Local history organizations have partnered with us to offer have internships available only to Calvin students. Descriptions of the available positions for the year will be posted each fall. Recent local partners include Cascade Historical Society, Calvin's Heritage Hall Archives, Lowell Museum/Fallasburg Historical Society, and Zeeland Historical Society.
Spring 2023 History Internships
The following local museums and heritage organizations are offering internship positions for Calvin History students in spring 2023. Most have application deadlines, so be sure to apply in time! Search Handshake to find and apply for these and other internships:
- Ada History Center - Collections Management Intern
- Lowell Area Historical Museum - Fallasburg Village Project Intern
- Zeeland Historical Society Archives/Dekker Huis Museum - Archives Intern
- Zeeland Historical Society Archives/Dekker Huis Museum - Collections Intern
Several local museums also offer regular internship positions. More information can be found on each museum's website (Not all museums offer internships each semester, so check the details for your preferred museum.):
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum» - Padnos Museum Internship Program (paid stipend)
- Grands Rapids Public Museum»
- Grands Rapids Childrens Museum»
- Grand Rapids Art Museum»
Visit Calvin's Career Center for additional advice about securing an internship. You can also talk with Professor Kate van Liere for guidance and information about opportunities with local partners.
Begin to search and apply for internships now. There are many opportunities for unpaid and paid internships on Handshake. Check Workday for on-campus opportunities. For information about searching for a position and advice about resumes, cover letters, and the application process, visit Calvin's Career Center website or make an appointment with them for a resume review and other assistance.
Apply for specific internships directly with the employer before you apply for HIST 393 (The employer sets the required application materials and deadline; you will include a copy of these in your separate application for the course.) Many internships have application deadlines before the HIST 393 application deadline; research and apply for internships early!
Apply separately for HIST 393 (independent study) by November 15. The application form can be downloaded here. Application materials for HIST 393 must include:
- Your resume or c.v.
- One-page statement of interest
- Copies of material submitted to internship employer
Your completed application can be turned in via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in person in the Historical Studies department office (Hiemenga 481).
Take the next step:
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Apply to Calvin
It all starts here! We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. All completed applications receive equal consideration.Start your journey × CLOSE DRAWER
Find the visit option that works best for you and get a taste for life at Calvin!Browse Visit Options Launch the virtual tour × CLOSE DRAWER
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.
Costs & Financial Aid
Families from all economic backgrounds—many just like yours—are making Calvin work. Scholarships, grants and loans are the tools that make Calvin possible.Explore financial aid & Scholarships How much does Calvin cost? × CLOSE DRAWER