Facilities and Equipment
At Calvin, you'll study, research, and do lab work in cutting-edge facilities using state-of-the-art tools.
You'll find everything you need to do real-world research that could result in publication or a presentation at a conference. Here is some of the equipment you'll have access to as a student in the chemistry and biochemistry department.
ISRx Research Lab
- The ISRx, a 4,450-square-foot wet lab constructed on the ground floor of the Science Building with a $951,150 Academic Research Infrastructure Grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF), provides the space and equipment for collaborative research between the sciences. It is the home for several biology, chemistry, and computer science research groups.
400-MHz NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) Spectrometer
- The 400-MHz Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectrometer (Varian Unity 400) determines the connectivity of molecules.
500-MHz NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) Spectrometer
- The 500-MHz Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectrometer (Varian 500) determines the connectivity of molecules.
ACEM Thermal Desorption System
- The ACEM Thermal Desorption System (Dynatherm Corporation) detects substances in air samples.
Differential Scanning Calorimeter
- The Differential Scanning Calorimeter (TA Instruments) measures thermal responses of substances and mixtures.
Five Liquid Chromatography Systems
- The Five Liquid Chromatography Systems (Agilent 1100 Series, including Diode Array detector and Fluorescent detector) separates mixtures.
- The Fluorescence Spectrometer (Horiba Fluoromax-4) measures fluorescence and luminescence.
- The FT-Infrared Spectrometer (Nicolet Protege 460 & Two Perkin-Elmer Spectrum RX) identifies functional groups on molecules.
- The Gas chromatography (2 Varian CP3900 and 1 Agilent 6850) performs routine separation of liquid mixtures.
Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry System
- The Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry System (Varian GC-3800/Saturn 2200) separates and identifies gas and liquid solutions.
- The Ion Chromatograph (Dionex DX500, Dionex Corporation) separates mixtures containing ions.
Liquid scintillation counter
- The Liquid scintillation counter (Beckman LS6500) measures radioactively labeled materials.
MALDI-TOF (Bruker – Microflex LRF)
Microwave Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometer
- The Microwave Plasma Atomic Emission Spectrometer (Agilent MP-4700) finds trace amounts of elements in solutions.
Nano Differential Scanning Calorimetry
- The Nano Differential Scanning Calorimetry (TA Instruments) determines the thermal stability and heat capacity of proteins and other macromolecules in dilute solution.
Nano Isothermal Titration Calorimetry
- The Nano Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (TA Instruments) measures ligand binding and reaction kinetics.
Polarimeter (Jasco DIP-1000)
- The Polarimeter (Jasco DIP-1000) measures the optical activity of a liquid.
Scanning Probe Microscope System
- The Scanning Probe Microscope System (Digital Instruments Nanoscope IIIa) images surfaces and molecules on surfaces.
Ultraviolet-Visible Spectrophotometer (Varian Cary 100)
- The Ultraviolet-Visible Spectrophotometer (Varian Cary 100) measures light absorption (color).
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #1 college in the Midwest.