Social work emerged as a profession in the early 20th century to promote the well-being and quality of life for all persons in society. Today, social workers continue to advocate in the public arena for the needs of their clients.
A wide range of activities
Calvin's social work program equips you with the skills to take on a life of:
- working to strengthen vulnerable families
- counseling patients and families experiencing serious illnesses
- rehabilitating emotionally and physically impaired persons
- organizing to improve the quality of life in neighborhoods
- developing and evaluating public policy
- assisting older adults to make new life adjustments
You will receive information about social work careers in various courses throughout the social work major. Consider meeting with your social work advisor to discuss your career options in more detail.
The social work field education faculty works with the career development staff to help BSW seniors prepare professional resumes and make them available to potential employers at college- and university-sponsored job fairs.
A listing of open positions in social work is available from the Career Center.