Studying philosophy at Calvin will open doors for you.
Philosophy, as many have pointed out, could be the most practical major. It is hard to find a more effective method for honing your skills in reasoning, writing and argumentation than majoring in philosophy.
The philosophy program at Calvin is designed to familiarize you with a broad range of disciplines in philosophy and equip you with skills in critical thinking, clear speech and cogent writing. Logic and law, ethics and arts, continental and analytic thought—your degree will equip you swim in the deep end of your chosen field. Not only will you be equipped for grad school, but your knowledge and skills will be relevant for law, ministry, government service and a host of other careers.
Most students studying philosophy at Calvin use their education to benefit work in another discipline. Combine your major with philosophy to broaden the number of fascinating careers within your reach.
- Combine ethics and business to prepare for a real-world career.
- Study political philosophy for a career in law or academics.
- Study the philosophy of gender to whet your appetite for advocacy.
- Deepen your understanding of arts and culture for a career in media or communications.
- Study health care ethics and contribute to cutting-edge biomedical ethical debates.
- Gain a deep understanding of the philosophical categories basic to theology.
- Delve into complex problems of mind, brain and behavior in the field of neuroscience.
- Or see how philosophy can enhance your skills in a number of other areas of study — economics, educational theory, intellectual history, literary criticism, mathematics and the list goes on.
Calvin’s philosophy department is very well-regarded nationwide and abroad. Our graduates have been admitted to the finest graduate and professional schools in the United States and Canada.