The Calvin University Math Circle is an opportunity for 6th–8th grade students (typically 11–13 years old) to engage with exciting problems and topics in mathematics. Meetings are led by a professor in the Calvin math department and typically begin with a warmup activity or game that leads into the day's problem or topic. The Math Circle seeks to generate enthusiasm for problem-solving in mathematics. Students also discover applications of mathematics and participate in a community that nurtures critical thinking, communication, and abstraction. If you have questions about whether Math Circle may be right for your student, please call or send email!
Time & Location
We meet at Calvin University in North Hall 276 on Tuesday afternoons. For Fall 2021 we will meet from September 28 through November 16 (eight sessions). Parking is available in Lot 5 (west of the engineering building) and Lot 6 (west of the aquatic center).
- 3:45–4:00 p.m.: setup and arrival
- 4:00–5:15 p.m.: main activity
- 5:15pm: dismissal
Cost & Application
- Updated September 9, 2021: We have reached capacity for our Fall 2021 semester. If you like to be on our list for announcements regarding future semesters, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Updated August 16, 2021: In light of last week's university-wide announcement about vaccinations and masking, we have learned that Math Circle can continue as planned with the requirement that we all wear masks. We will keep this page updated in case of further changes.
- Updated June 28, 2021: We are excited by the possibility of starting Math Circle again in Fall 2021! Please know that meetings this semester will be on Tuesdays (and not Mondays). We are planning to meet as we did in past semesters (pre-COVID) but we will adhere to guidance from MDHHS and CDC as may be needed. Be well!
- Tuition is $80 per semester
- Registration is via Eventbrite (space limited to 16 students)
- At the first meeting please bring a signed copy of the consent form
Calendar (Fall 2021)
|Tuesday, September 28||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, October 5||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, October 12||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, October 19||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, October 26||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, November 2||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA||TBA|
|Tuesday, November 9||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA|
|Tuesday, November 16||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||TBA|
Calendar (Winter 2020)
|Monday, February 3||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Frogs and Toads||Prof. Mike Bolt|
|Monday, February 10||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Amida-Kuji||Prof. Jan Koop|
|Monday, February 17||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Josephus Problem||Prof. Mike Bolt|
|Monday, Ferbuary 24||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Folding Shapes||Prof. Jan Koop|
|Monday, March 2||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Pennies & Paperclips||Prof. Mike Bolt|
|Monday, March 9||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||Squares and More Squares||Prof. Jan Koop|
|Monday, March 16||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||*canceled due to pandemic*|
|Monday, March 23||4:00–5:15 p.m.||NORTH HALL 276||*canceled due to pandemic*|
The Math Circle is an enrichment activity that explores topics generally outside the regular mathematics curriculum. It is for 6th-8th grade students (typically 11-13 years old) who are interested in problem-solving and applications.
Math Circles originated in Russia in the 1930s, appeared in the United States in the 1990s, and are promoted by the National Association of Math Circles. Nearby circles include the Michigan Math Circle (Ann Arbor, MI) and the Maize & Blue Math Circle (Dearborn, MI).
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Master of Education (MEd) Online
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Kinesiology (Pre-professional Emphasis)
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin’s dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.