When your Michigan Standard Certificate expires, you have three options:
1) Apply for the Standard Renewal
- This renewal is valid for five years, and then you may apply for subsequent renewals or the Professional Certificate.
2) Apply for the Professional Certificate
- Requirements to apply beginning July 1, 2018.
- The three years of teaching experience required for the Professional Certificate must be completed in Michigan and in a school that participates in Michigan’s teacher evaluation process. If you are teaching in another state or country or a non-participating Michigan school, you may renew the Standard Certificate as described in option 1.
- Note that one additional reading class is required; check this list of approved reading courses. If you are out-of-state, you may complete an online course offered by a Michigan institution or locate a course at a university near you that meets the specifications of the law. For an out-of-state course, complete this form and mail it in yourself to the Michigan Department of Education after you have applied for the Professional Certificate online.
- The Professional Certificate is valid for five years, and then you may renew the Professional Certificate.
- An optional Advanced Professional Certificate is also available for teachers who complete National Board Certification » or teacher leader training and receive a highly effective rating on three out of the five most recent annual Michigan teacher evaluations.
3) Allow the certificate to expire if you are not employed in a position that requires a valid certificate (you can always renew it in the future—you will just need to meet the renewal requirements before you apply).
Additional information for all teachers
Instructions to apply online (for all certificate levels and renewals)
Michigan Educator Certification Status (view your certificate information online)
Michigan’s Certification Guidance Documents (provides answers to frequently asked teacher certification questions)
Recommended programs for certificate renewal:
- Any of Calvin's graduate education courses may be used to renew. Note that some courses are offered online, and tuition rates are affordable.
- Calvin also offers endorsement programs that allow you to add new grades/subjects to your certificate. If you are accepted to this program, these courses may also be used for renewal (even if they are undergrad-level courses).
- For information or advice about completing semester hours at a different institution in Michigan, contact the appropriate & Certification Officer for assistance.
- MDE maintains a list of approved SCECH options. Select Category “OnLine Courses” to view online options.
An Administrator Certificate is also available to candidates who complete an Educational Leadership program. This certificate is valid for five years, and then you may renew the Administrator Certificate.
Renewal outside of Michigan
If you are in another state or country, you may complete online courses or SCECHs through a Michigan institution (as described above) or complete courses at an out-of-state college or university in person or online. Verify that the institution is regionally accredited and has a state-approved education program.
Out-of-state courses could be in an education-related master's program and/or courses toward a new endorsement subject area that is recognized by the state of Michigan. Email Jim Sory at MDE if you would like advice before beginning out-of-state coursework. Professional development hours completed in other states or countries may not be used unless you earned college or university credit.
With over 100 majors and programs, you’re bound to find something you love.
Browse by category
- Communication & Media Studies
- Education (BA, BS)
- Many specializations, including:
- Master of Education (MEd)
- Health Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Health Education
- One Health
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Public Health
- Recreation Leadership
- Speech Pathology and Audiology (BA, MA)
- Master of Speech Pathology
- Theraputic Recreation
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Data Analytics
- Data Science
- Engineering (BSE)
- Environmental Science—Natural Resources Track
- Environmental Science—Naturalist Track
- Environmental Studies
- Social Sciences
- World Languages & Cultural Studies
Learn why Calvin's dedication to faith and discovery have earned it the rank of #3 among regional midwest universities.