Beyond offering a wide variety of its own off-campus programs, Calvin also supports students who find other programs that they think better meet their needs. Below are non-Calvin programs in which Calvin students regularly participate.
Students participating in these programs may receive Calvin financial and administrative support. Partner programs allow 100% of Calvin financial aid to be used for the program, and non-Calvin programs allow students to take 50% of Calvin financial aid if they apply for and are awarded a “slot.” Students may also choose to participate in programs not on this list, but levels of Calvin support may vary.
How to apply
If you are interested in studying on a non-Calvin program, you are encouraged to stop by the Off-Campus Programs Office for additional information. You will need to apply to the non-Calvin program as well as completing the steps necessary for Calvin through Horizons, our online application system. Please go to the Application Process Page to view the checklist for your program.
Categories of Non-Calvin Programs:
Handong University - Exchange Program
- Study at Handong University, a Christian college in Pohang, Korea. Classes in English are offered in a variety of subjects including business, economics, political science, religion, computer science, and communications.
Chicago Semester (Partner)
- Welcome to your new classroom, the bustling urban center of downtown Chicago. Discover the ins and outs of city life, work as a professional with one of the program's top-notch internship partners, and explore the diverse and artistic culture of this great city—all from a Christian perspective.
Budapest Semester in Mathematics
- Spend part of your junior or senior year in Budapest, Hungary through the (non-Calvin) Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM) program. Learn mathematics from leading Hungarian scholars through one of the most prestigious and essential study-abroad programs for undergraduate students of mathematics.
Pierce Cedar Creek Institute for Environmental Education
- In this non-Calvin program, undergraduate research grants are available for summer internships at Pierce Cedar Creek Institute for teams of students and their faculty mentors.
Hogeschool Zeeland (Exchange)
- The old shipyard town of Vlissingen has been an official city since 1315, but its heritage dates back over a millennium. Enjoy a tasteful dichotomy as you study modern business and economics in the midst of this ancient Dutch town.
Semester in Vienna (Partner)
- Calvin offers a German semester abroad in Vienna, Austria through a partnership with Central College (Iowa). In this program, you will experience two countries, Germany and Austria, and rich cultures filled with enough history, art, and food to keep you exploring all semester long.
Semester in Japan (Partner)
- Spend the semester studying the Japanese language and culture in Hikone, near Kyoto, Japan. In this program held at the Japan Center for Michigan Colleges and Universities (JCMU), language courses are taught at all levels and cultural engagement includes field trips, home stays and participation in local cultural events.
Creation Care Study Program
- In this non-Calvin program, you will study creation care in either Belize or New Zealand/Samoa during the fall or spring semester with students from other Christian colleges and universities.
Au Sable Institute of Environmental Studies
- In this non-Calvin semester program, you will take courses and work in internships related to environmental studies. Study in northern Michigan with its forests, wetlands, lakes and rivers, on the west coast, in Latin America or in Southern India.
Semester in the Netherlands
- Each year, Dutch and science students travel off-campus for a semester in Amsterdam. Through this program, you'll live in residence halls at the world-renowned VU University Amsterdam with students from all over the world.