Calvin is committed to making off-campus programs financially accessible. The cost of most semester programs is within $1000 of tuition + full room & board on campus + round trip airfare. Financial aid is available for semester programs and some short-term experiences. Be sure to consult with the Financial Aid Office to determine what scholarships, loans, and grants you may be eligible for.
After students have completed their Horizons application, they will be invited to interview with the program director. The program director will inform students about their acceptance into a semester program approximately 10 days after the final application deadline. The acceptance letter will be accompanied by a “Term & Conditions” form which will list the estimated program cost, the payment schedule, and other program requirements. In order to indicate their intention to participate in the program, accepted students must sign and return the form and pay a deposit (usually $500) through the Billing and Payment Center by the date indicated on the acceptance letter. This deposit is non-refundable and will be applied to the cost of the program.
Fees are typically listed in the summer program description; contact the program director for details or if you have questions.
Final payment for off-campus semester programs will be due according to the following schedule:
- Fall Semester: July 5
- Spring Semester: November 15
- Summer term(s): March 15
Payments and Refunds
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- During the final 45 days prior to departure from the US, a cancellation charge equal to 25% of the room and board fees will be assessed.
- There is no refund for any portion of the program fees once you arrive in onsite except in the case of a family emergency requiring your presence at home in the U.S. Tuition refunds will be applied according to the same schedule as on-campus classes.
- No refunds will be given to students who are dismissed from the program.
- In the case of a program suspension after the program has begun, students will complete their coursework remotely, online, and accomplish academic credits as normal. There is no refund for program tuition. Room and board fees will be prorated and refunded to the student.
- Refunds on transportation costs will be subject to carrier regulations.
Calvin recognizes that some programs offered by other institutions might fit better with a student’s interests and major/minor.
The cost for non-Calvin off-campus semester programs depends on the price set by the host institution.
- Students will pay at least Calvin semester tuition. If the price of the program is more than Calvin tuition, the student will be charged the host institution tuition.
- It is the student’s responsibility to understand all program costs. Other costs may include housing, food, local transportation, student fees, etc
- Transportation to and from the program site is the student’s financial responsibility.
Calvin can only support a limited number of students studying with non-Calvin programs. All Federal and State financial aid can be used for a non-Calvin program. Students may apply to have 50% of their Calvin financial aid used for their program cost. This request is part of the Horizons non-Calvin program application. Normally, 5-10 students are granted this permission each year. These applications will be reviewed starting April 1. Note: the April 1 deadline is the same for both fall and spring semester programs.