Calvin is committed to working with students to make studying off-campus a possibility. We work to make the cost of a semester abroad comparative to that of a semester at home, plus round-trip airfare, and facilitate scholarship opportunities for both semester and summer programs.
The price of each semester program is at least the cost of tuition, room and board on campus. The final price is based on the total costs of the semester divided by the total number of students who participate. Each individual program description page provides an estimated cost, but the exact cost of any program cannot be fully calculated until the size of the group has been finalized (typicaly in early/mid November for spring semester programs; late April/early May for fall semester programs). As soon as the final price of each program is established, the Off-Campus Programs Office will notify students registered in each program.
Students must confirm their participation in an off-campus program by paying a deposit towards their tuition account through the Bill & Payment Center of the Financial Services Office. Check with your program director to confirm the amount and the deadline for this deposit.
Fees are typically listed in the summer program description; contact the program director for details or if you have questions.
Final payment for off-campus semester programs will be due according to the following schedule:
- Fall Semester: mid-July
- Spring Semester: early December
- Summer term(s): mid-April
Payments and Refunds
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- During the final 45 days prior to departure from the US, a cancellation charge equal to 25% of the room and board fees will be assessed.
- There is no refund for any portion of the program fees once you arrive in onsite except in the case of a family emergency requiring your presence at home in the U.S. Tuition refunds will be applied according to the same schedule as on-campus classes.
- No refunds will be given to students who are dismissed from the program.
- In the case of a program suspension after the program has begun, students will complete their coursework remotely, online, and accomplish academic credits as normal. There is no refund for program tuition. Room and board fees will be prorated and refunded to the student.
- Refunds on transportation costs will be subject to carrier regulations.
Calvin recognizes that some programs offered by other institutions might fit better with a student’s interests and major/minor.
The cost for non-Calvin off-campus semester programs depends on the price set by the host institution.
- Students will pay at least Calvin semester tuition. If the price of the program is more than Calvin tuition, the student will be charged the host institution tuition.
- It is the student’s responsibility to understand all program costs. Other costs may include housing, food, local transportation, student fees, etc
- Transportation to and from the program site is the student’s financial responsibility.
Calvin can only support a limited number of students studying with non-Calvin programs. All Federal and State financial aid can be used for a non-Calvin program. Students may apply to have 50% of their Calvin financial aid used for their program cost. This request is part of the Horizons non-Calvin program application. Normally, 5-10 students are granted this permission each year. These applications will be reviewed starting April 1. Note: the April 1 deadline is the same for both fall and spring semester programs.