The Calvin University payroll office handles payment for time worked for all faculty, staff, and student employees, and manages the withholding of federal, state, and local taxes, garnishments, and other payroll deductions.

Payroll Forms

New hire paperwork for all employees must be received prior to working any hours in a position at Calvin University.  Paperwork for faculty/staff is to be received in the Human Resources Office.  New hire paperwork for student employees is to be received in the Payroll Office.

PLEASE NOTE:  The government mandates that upon employment, all employees provide documentation to prove identity. No photocopies or photographs will be accepted.  Please review the list of I-9 acceptable documents that you must present when turning in your tax packet to the Payroll Office.  Employees may not begin their employment until these have been presented and a completed I-9 form is on file.

Payroll forms for current employees (i.e. tax forms, direct deposit, tuition payroll deduction) may be modified at any time.  Original, signed forms must be provided in person to the payroll office.  The requested deduction or withholding change will take place in the next pay period (see form submission deadlines here).  

Payroll Schedule

Exempt (salaried) employees are paid on the 15th and 30th of every month, totaling 24 paydays in a year. If the 15th or the 30th falls on a weekend or holiday, the pay date will be the preceding business day.

Non-Exempt (hourly staff and student) employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis on Fridays, totaling 26 paydays in a year. If a Friday payroll falls on a holiday, the pay date will be the preceding business day.

2018 Payroll Schedules 

2019 Payroll Schedules

Direct Deposit & Pay Advices

All employees are paid by direct deposit to any bank/credit union in the United States.  Online pay advices, indicating the amount of money that was directly deposited into an employee's specified bank account(s) each payroll (including any relevant deductions) may be accessed at either the Faculty/Staff or Student Resources page under "Payroll & Time Entry/View Online Pay Advice".

Time Entry

All hourly (including student) employees are required to enter time worked into Calvin University's online time card system.  Hours should be entered daily and must be submitted electronically by 12:00 noon on the Monday following the end of a pay period.  For more information on entering time, please visit our Time Entry process and policy page.

Reimbursements, Stipends, & Honoraria

Reimbursements are allowable for employees who have incurred business expenses.  Stipends and Honoraria are alternative payment options for service rendered to employees and non-employees.  For more information please visit our Reimbursements, Stipends and Honoraria process and policy page.

Payroll Advances

Calvin University does not offer payroll advances.

W-2 Information

Calvin University is required by the IRS to provide all employees with a Form W-2 for each calendar year worked. A W-2 details an employee’s compensation and tax withholdings and is used to complete the employee’s annual tax return.  For more information on receiving your W-2 (especially as regards consent to receive your W-2 electronically), please visit our W-2 Process and Policy page.

Questions? Need help?

We make every effort to deliver the highest quality of customer service to the Calvin University community. Please do not hesitate to stop by our offices within the Financial Services Office suite in the Spoelhof University Center or to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.

Questions in regards to tax paperwork for student employment may be directed to the payroll office.  All other questions about finding a student job should be directed to the Student Employment Office located in Career Services.