Are you a freshman or sophomore who is considering accounting as a possible major and future career? This website from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants provides helpful information about careers in accounting and what you can do as a student to prepare.
Fall Recruiting Season
Make sure you are well-prepared this fall to meet potential employers and make your best impression during recruiting season. Plan on attending these important events:
- Accounting and Finance Reception
- Office Mixers
- Meet & Greet Sessions
- On-Campus Interviewing
Accounting and Finance Career Fair
- Wed., Sept. 11, 2019, Calvin University Prince Conference Center
- 4–5:30 p.m.
- Meet with representatives from accounting firms and businesses that hire accountants
- Dress professionally (See our Best Dressed Candidate handout for more info on attire)
- Research the companies that will be attending (find out who will be there on Handshake)
The Accounting and Finance Career Fair is a job fair for accounting and finance students from Calvin and Aquinas. You'll go from table to table, introducing yourself, handing out your résumé (which should be printed on résumé paper), and asking appropriate questions.
Employers use the Accounting and Finance Career Fair to determine which students they would like to interview further. First impressions count, so dress professionally, present a firm handshake, and prepare a brief introduction about yourself. Research the participating employers ahead of time and prepare questions to ask. (See our handout for more info on career fairs).
Prepare for the Accounting and Finance Career Fair by attending a prep session the day before: Tues., Sept. 10, at 10 a.m. in NH 161.
Office Mixers/ Meet & Greet Sessions
Office visits and meet & greet sessions are an important part of the recruiting process. Firms want to tell you about themselves, but they are also interested in observing you and how you interact with others. Therefore, behave professionally. Dress code is usually business casual or casual. Details about these events and how to sign up will be emailed to you.
- Crowe Open House: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 5:30-7:30 p.m., 55 Campau Ave parking lot. Casual dress, mix and mingle.
- Plante Moran Office Mixer: Monday, September 9, 2019, 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- Rehmann Grand Rapids Career Night: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- Rehmann Meet and Greet at Calvin: Monday, September 16, 6:00-8:00 p.m., "Hot Wings, Hot Topics," NH 165
- Beene Garter Office Mixer: Tuesday, September 17, 5:15-7:00 p.m.
|BHT&D||Wed, Sept 18, 2019|
|Beene Garter||Tues, Sept 24, 2019|
|Plante Moran||Wed, Sept 25, 2019|
|Hungerford||Fri, Sept 27, 2019|
|Rehmann||Mon, Sept 30, 2019|
Accounting Résumé Book
Each spring, the Career Center publishes a résumé book of accounting students. Employers use the résumé book to pre-select candidates for on-campus interviews or to contact students directly regarding office visits or other recruiting events. Attend walk-in hours or schedule an appointment if you have questions about your résumé.
Résumé Book Deadlines for all Accounting majors (sophomores and above)