Are you a freshman or sophomore who is considering accounting as a possible major and future career? This website from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants provides helpful information about careers in accounting and what you can do as a student to prepare.
Fall Recruiting Season
Make sure you are well-prepared this fall to meet potential employers and make your best impression during recruiting season. Plan on attending these important events:
- Accounting Reception
- Office Mixers
- Meet & Greet Sessions
- On-Campus Interviewing
- Sept. 26, 2017, Calvin College
- Seniors arrive at 5:30 p.m., juniors at 6 p.m.
- Meet with representatives from accounting firms and businesses that hire accountants
- Dress professionally (See our Best Dressed Candidate" handout for more info on attire)
- Research the companies that will be attending (you'll be sent the list in the late summer/early fall)
The Accounting Reception is a mini job fair for accounting and finance students from Calvin and Aquinas. You'll go from table to table, introducing yourself, handing out your résumé (which should be printed on résumé paper), and asking appropriate questions.
Employers use the Accounting Reception to determine which students they would like to interview further. First impressions count, so dress professionally, present a firm handshake, and prepare a brief introduction about yourself. Research the participating employers ahead of time and prepare questions to ask. (See our handout for more info on career fairs).
Office Mixers/ Meet & Greet Sessions
Office visits and meet & greet sessions are an important part of the recruiting process. Firms want to tell you about themselves, but they are also interested in observing you and how you interact with others. Therefore, behave professionally. Dress code is usually business casual or casual. Details about these events and how to sign up will be emailed to you.
- Crowe Horwath Open House: Wed., Sept. 6, 5:30-7:30 p.m., stop by anytime
- Plante Moran Office Mixer: Wed.,Sept. 13, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- Rehmann Career Night: Thurs., Sept. 14, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
|Melton & Melton (Houston, TX)||Sept. 25|
|Beene Garter||Sept. 29|
|Plante Moran||Oct. 4|
|Hungerford Nichols||Oct. 6|
Accounting Résumé Book
Each year, the Career Center publishes a résumé book of accounting students. Employers use the résumé book to pre-select candidates for on-campus interviews or to contact students directly regarding office visits or other recruiting events. Attend walk-in hours or schedule an appointment if you have questions about your résumé.
Résumé Book Deadlines for Accounting majors in ACCT 204
- Date TBD (Spring 2018) - résumé draft due in class
- TBD - one-on-one résumé critiques with employers
- TBD - submit final résumé - electronically on Handshake
Résumé Book Deadlines for ACCT 205, 302 and all other junior and senior accounting majors