Academic programs in sustainability
- The environmental science major program of concentration is intended for those who plan to pursue a career requiring scientific training in environmental problems and their solutions.
- The major will prepare you for jobs in a variety of fields and for further study in graduate programs such as ecology, environmental science, natural resource management or environmental biology.
- With an environmental studies major, you will take courses in the sciences and the humanities to develop a strong understanding of environmental issues across the globe. The environmental studies group minor is intended for students who are following a disciplinary major and who also have an interest in studying a broad range of environmental problems and issues at the local, national, and global levels.
Geology (BA, BS)
- Through Calvin's geology major (BA/BS), you will learn about the formation, history and structure of the Earth, and apply that knowledge to practical problems as committed Christians.
- The geography major at Calvin will provide you with abilities in investigation of physical and cultural landscapes and understanding their resulting interactions in the context of a Christian world view.
Departments with environmental emphases
- Discover the diverse impact the growing human population is having on the world that sustains it—then learn how to do something about it.
- With an environmental science major, you'll draw from a number of disciplines within the sciences to gain an understanding of how you can responsibly carry out your role as a steward of God's creation.
- If you want to pursue a career requiring scientific training in environmental problems and their solutions, an environmental studies major will prepare you for jobs in a variety of fields.
- You can also continue your education through graduate programs such as ecology, environmental science, natural resource management or environmental biology.
- At Calvin, professors and students alike have a desire to create and implement sustainable energy and living habits. We strive to do this through various research and class projects. Sustainability is also a common inspiration for senior engineering students' Design Projects.
Geology, Geography and Environmental Studies Department
- The GEO Department is a community working together to investigate Earth and its human habitation, cherish its intricate physical processes and rich cultural diversity, and act justly as stewards of God’s creation.
Courses related to sustainability
- Chemistry and biochemistry
- Environmental studies
- Mathematics and statistics