Academic programs in sustainability
- The environmental science major program of concentration is intended for those who plan to pursue a career requiring scientific training in environmental problems and their solutions.
- The major will prepare you for jobs in a variety of fields and for further study in graduate programs such as ecology, environmental science, natural resource management or environmental biology.
- With an environmental studies major, you will take courses in the sciences and the humanities to develop a strong understanding of environmental issues across the globe. The environmental studies group minor is intended for students who are following a disciplinary major and who also have an interest in studying a broad range of environmental problems and issues at the local, national, and global levels.
- The environmental geology major involves 67 – 68 semester hours of course work. This major track leads to a bachelor of science (BS) degree.
Departments with environmental emphases
- Discover the diverse impact the growing human population is having on the world that sustains it—then learn how to do something about it.
- With an environmental science major, you'll draw from a number of disciplines within the sciences to gain an understanding of how you can responsibly carry out your role as a steward of God's creation.
- If you want to pursue a career requiring scientific training in environmental problems and their solutions, an environmental studies major will prepare you for jobs in a variety of fields.
- You can also continue your education through graduate programs such as ecology, environmental science, natural resource management or environmental biology.
- At Calvin, professors and students alike have a desire to create and implement sustainable energy and living habits. We strive to do this through various research and class projects. Sustainability is also a common inspiration for senior engineering students' Design Projects.
Courses related to sustainability
- Chemistry and biochemistry
- Environmental studies
- Mathematics and statistics