A new honors program, Honors and Collegiate Scholars, will be launched in Fall 2019. This program will replace the current honors program (now called Legacy Honors). If you are a current Calvin student that is eligible for the Legacy Honors program or if you are currently participating in this program, we'll work with you during this transition to support your academic goals and ensure that your achievements are recognized.
If you have any questions, please visit the Honors Office located in the Center for Student Success.
Apply to participate in the Legacy Honors Program
Students with a Calvin GPA of 3.3 or higher that entered Calvin during, or prior to, the 2018-2019 academic year are eligible to apply to participate in the Legacy Honors Program. Applications are available in the Honors Office.
Graduate with Honors under the Legacy Honors Program
Please note that if you are participating in the Honors and Collegiate Scholars Program, the below requirements do not apply to you. They are relevant only to students participating in the Legacy Honors Program.
To graduate with honors from the Calvin College Legacy Honors Program you must:
- complete at least 6 honors courses (a minimum of 18 credit hours).
- earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- fulfill all departmental requirements for graduating with honors in your major(s).
- complete an 2018 Application to Graduate with Honors Form and submit it to the Honors Office by the beginning of your final semester.
- An "H" grade in a regular Interim (January) course does not count toward the total of six honors courses.
- You cannot graduate from the Legacy Honors Program with "general honors." You must earn honors in a major.
- Normally, only one honors course may be taken during the final semester of the senior year, unless permission has been granted by the Director of the Honors Program.
Graduate with honors in two majors
Students who seek to graduate with honors from Calvin College in two majors must:
- complete at least eight honors courses (a minimum of 24 credit hours);
- earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5;
- complete at least two honors courses outside of the two major departments; and
- fulfill all requirements for graduation with honors in both majors.
Graduate with honors in interdisciplinary and group majors or three minors
Students who seek to graduate with honors from Calvin College in an interdisciplinary major, group major or programs which require three minors must submit a written proposal. Approval of the proposal should normally be sought by the end of the junior year. Proposals must include these elements:
- at least six honors courses (a minimum of 18 credit hours);
- a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
- at least two honors courses in each of two departments with grades of B+ or higher;
- an honors research paper or project in each of two departments or a research paper or project on a topic which combines at least two disciplines; and
- signed approval by the chairs of all the departments involved and the Honors Program Director.
See honors departmental requirements for your major or program »