The Collegiate Scholars track requires students to maintain a record of academic excellence and complete a minimum of four advanced academic, leadership, or community engagement activities.
These activities could include participation in a musical ensemble or the Calvin Theatre Company, earning a second major, or studying abroad for a semester. Collegiate Scholars take upper-level Honors colloquia courses, designed to offer interdisciplinary engagement with big questions. The Collegiate Scholars track aims to inspire academic excellence while anchoring those achievements within the larger college community.
As a Collegiate Scholar, you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in upper-level interdisciplinary Honors colloquium courses with other academically talented students to augment your major coursework
- Meet annually with a Collegiate Scholars advisor to maximize your academic opportunities
- Apply for student research stipends and research-related travel funds through the Calvin student research fellows program
- Receive advice and support during the preparation of competitive national scholarship applications (e.g. Fulbright, Goldwater, etc.)
- Add an 18th credit hour to your course load, free of charge (with maintenance of 3.65 overall GPA)
- Upon successful completion of the Collegiate Scholars Program requirements (listed below), graduate “with distinction” at Commencement, and your official transcript will indicate this achievement
- Final cumulative GPA: 3.65 or higher
- Completion of one Honors colloquium course (HNRS 380)
- Documented participation in four advanced academic or community engagement activities, such as: (NOTE: each category may be used no more than twice)
- Completion of an additional Honors colloquium course (HNRS 380)
- Completion of a minor or second major
- Completion of two courses, in a single discipline, beyond what is required in the major or core curriculum (e.g. advanced language study, additional 300-level courses within major)
- Participation in a music ensemble or theater production (full season commitment required)
- Participation in varsity athletics (full season commitment)
- Participation in undergraduate research or internship (summer or full academic year)
- Participation in student governance as a student senator (full year commitment)
- Completion of a study abroad program (full semester requirement)
- Leadership position in a student organization (full year commitment)
- Participation in a service-learning activity (full year commitment)
- Participation in other activity approved by Honors Advisory Council
Honors Collegiate Scholars applications for the 2019–2020 year are closed. Applications for 2020–2021 will be available August 2019.