Teaching Responsively; Teaching Justly
Please join the 2nd Sacred Space Pedagogy Summit, a hybrid faculty development opportunity experienced through 4 On-line sessions (May-June, 2019) & 2 ½ days On-Site at Calvin College (June 3-5, 2019).
The summit offers advanced professional development for higher education faculty to deepen contemplative, faith-shaped teaching practices that promote justice, diversity & inclusion. The summit’s unique design creates a unique opportunity to learn alongside invited authors, scholars, leaders and diverse Christian Educators from CCCU Institutions. Expert scholar leaders will be contributing to our learning conversations, activity-based explorations, and pedagogical design projects. Bridge the world of ideas and practice through readings, discussion, intentional reflection, & learning labs, and pedagogical design projects. Participants will explore:
- creating learning place and space for diverse classroom communities;
- the role of human embodiment in learning routines;
- the power of text, action, and object in teaching; and
- culturally responsive, just teaching through core Christian beliefs, such as incarnation, communion & hospitality.
- Brown Taylor, B. (2009). An Altar in the World. New York: Harper One.
- Smith, J. K. (2013). Imagining the Kingdom: How Worship Works. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
- Smith, D. I. and Susan M. Felch (2016). Teaching and Christian Imagination. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- Longman, K.A. (2017). Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity and the Future of Higher Education. Texas: Abilene Christian University Press. (On-Site gift)
- Additional articles, websites, and videos will be provided.
- Summit participation is limited; please register soon to reserve your place!
- Cost: $350
- Registration closes loses April 30, 2019
- Cost includes the online and on-site learning experiences, a free book and materials, an off-site learning excursion, and on-site meals during the Summit.
- Summit texts
- meals outside of On-Site Summit
- lodging (on-site $129/night +tax at Calvin’s Prince Conference Center)
- Readings in advance of learning sessions
- 2 1/2 days of on-site sessions with speakers, discussions, and exploratory learning labs
- Submission of two Sacred Space Pedagogy ideas incorporated into a course lesson plan, unit of study, or syllabus