Teaching Responsively; Teaching Justly
Please join the 2nd Sacred Space Pedagogy Summit, a hybrid faculty development opportunity experienced through 4 On-line sessions (May-June, 2019) & 2 ½ days On-Site at Calvin College (June 3-5, 2019).
The summit offers advanced professional development for higher education faculty to deepen contemplative, faith-shaped teaching practices that promote justice, diversity and inclusion. The summit’s unique design creates an opportunity to learn alongside invited authors, scholars, leaders and diverse Christian educators from CCCU Institutions. Expert scholar leaders will be contributing to our learning conversations, activity-based explorations, and pedagogical design projects. Bridge the world of ideas and practice through readings, discussion, intentional reflection, learning labs, and pedagogical design projects. Participants will explore:
- the creation of learning place and space for diverse classroom communities;
- the role of human embodiment in learning routines;
- the power of text, action, and object in teaching; and
- culturally responsive, just teaching through core Christian beliefs, such as incarnation, communion and hospitality.
- Brown Taylor, B. (2009). An Altar in the World. New York: Harper One.
- Smith, J. K. (2013). Imagining the Kingdom: How Worship Works. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
- Smith, D. I. and Susan M. Felch (2016). Teaching and Christian Imagination. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- Longman, K.A. (2017). Diversity Matters: Race, Ethnicity and the Future of Higher Education. Texas: Abilene Christian University Press. (On-Site gift)
- Additional articles, websites, and videos will be provided.
- Summit participation is limited; please register soon to reserve your place!
- Cost: $350
- Registration closes April 30, 2019
- Cost includes the online and on-site learning experiences, a free book and materials, an off-site learning excursion, and on-site meals during the Summit.
- Please visit https://secure.cccu.org/ssps/ssps/home.aspx to register!
- Summit texts
- Meals outside of On-Site Summit
- Lodging (on-site $129/night +tax at Calvin’s Prince Conference Center)
- Readings in advance of learning sessions
- 2 1/2 days of on-site sessions with speakers, discussions, and exploratory learning labs
- Submission of two Sacred Space Pedagogy ideas incorporated into a course lesson plan, unit of study, or syllabus
Enjoy reduced summit fees due to the support of Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship (CCCS) with registration and marketing support from the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU).