- Friday, October 12, 2018
- 3:30 PM–5:00 PM
- Meeter Center Lecture Hall
This past summer five Calvin students and one Calvin graduate with a Master's in Chinese spent six weeks teaching English in China to groups of young Chinese children, ranging in age from kindergarten to ninth grade. They were placed in teams of two in Christian schools in Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Guangzhou. The five current Calvin students are offering a panel discussion to share their teaching experiences as well as their overall impressions of China. The presentation is co-sponsored by the Hubers Asian Studies Program and the Education Department of Calvin College. Free refreshments will be served.
- Maggie Backus, a sophomore from Cleveland, Ohio, majoring in Linguistics and minoring in Spanish and ESL. She is also studying Korean, and would love to add Chinese someday!
- Ryan Gelderloos, a sophomore from Grand Rapids, MI majoring in Chinese and Economics.
- Katie Brooks, a sophomore from Zionsville, Indiana majoring in Chinese and Business.
- Carly Brooks, sophomore from Zionsville, Indiana, majoring in Chinese and Communications.
- Ryan Sturgis a junior from Portland, OR and Kandern, Germany, majoring in Secondary Education, Social Studies, and German.