- February 7, 2023–February 19, 2023
Hike volcanoes and explore other natural wonders on the Big Island and Kauai
Our tour will examine the geology and volcanic development of Hawaii while we enjoy the historical, cultural and scenic sights of the islands:
- Cliffs of South Point, green and black sand beaches
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including the Kilauea Visitor Center and Chain of Craters road
- 4 miles hiking the crater floor at Kilauea Iki
- 4-5 miles of hiking to Huluhulu and the rim of the spectacular Mauna Ulu crater
- Hilo: Liliʻuokalani Park and Gardens, botanical gardens, farmer's market, shopping
- Hilo to Kona scenic drive: Laupahoehoe Point, Akaka Falls, Waipio Canyon
- Coffee plantation, macadamia nut shop
- Kauai's Waimea Canyon
- Kauai's north shore with Wailua Falls
- Return trip layover in Honolulu to visit Pearl Harbor
Gerry Van Kooten, professor of geology emeritus, has led several student interim trips and two alumni trips to the Hawaiian islands. He will enrich the tour experience with presentations and guided hikes, enabling participants to understand volcanoes and volcanic features as well as appreciate the historical and cultural development of the diverse society present in Hawaii.
This trip will be more active than the typical CALL trip and participants must be able to walk several miles in warm temperatures on uneven lava terrain, including uphill climbs from the crater floor. See the tour brochure for details, and contact Gerry at email@example.com to ask further questions about the activity level.
See photos from the November 2021 tour for a few scenic highlights and an understanding of the hiking terrain!
The cost for this tour is $6,574 per person, based on double occupancy and flights from Grand Rapids. Passengers interested in departing from other locations can work with Witte Travel on alternate arrangements after booking. While this price is higher than other CALL U.S. tours, it is in line with Hawaiian prices and recent increases in airline fees. The tour group is also limited to 22 passengers for a smaller group experience, which also enables smaller buses/vans to reach some of the destinations on the tour. Registration will open by the end of August.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name added to the interest list so you'll be notified when tour details are available.
Calvin tours are open to any friends of CALL and the Calvin Alumni Association who wish to travel with us. Explore other Calvin-sponsored tours, too.