A loan is money you can borrow that must be repaid once you either a) graduate, or b) are enrolled in college/university less than half time. Loans can help bridge the financial gap left after you receive other types of financial aid. They can be an important resource for investing in your future.

Funding for federal loan programs subject to annual budget decisions.

Important terms

Subsidized loans
Won't accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours), in deferment (postponed with approval) or in your grace period.
Unsubsidized loans
Accrue interest while you're in school. Interest payments are not mandatory while you're in school, but any interest accrued will turn into principal once the loan is in repayment.
Payment of the loan to your tuition, room & board account at Calvin. Federal student loans, Federal PLUS and Private Loans will be disbursed directly to the student's tuition account in two installments. Disbursements are split equally between the fall and spring semesters. With proper arrangements, uneven disbursements of a Federal PLUS or Private Loan can occur to account for significant differences in costs between one semester versus the other (enrollment in an off-campus semester, etc).
Promissory note
Binding legal document that MUST be signed by the student for a student loan. It lists conditions, rights and responsibilities of borrowing and repayment. Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans must only be signed once (Master Promissory Note).
For private loans, this is the person who will be responsible for making payments if the primary borrower becomes unable or unwilling to make payments on the loan. A parent, spouse, or other relative may be a good candidate for co-signing. All of our alternative loan preferred lenders strongly suggest a co-signer in order to obtain the best interest rates and repayment terms possible.
A period when repayment of the principal and interest of your loan is delayed. Most educational loans can be deferred while a student is enrolled in a college/university at least half time.

Leaving Calvin?

If you discontinue your education for any reason, you must contact the office of financial aid regarding your loans. You must also complete exit loan counseling.


If you wish to reduce or cancel your loan(s) or wish to sign a paper promissory note instead of the electronic note, please contact our office.