You may obtain credit from other schools while studying at Calvin.
Transfer credit process
To take courses at another school during the summer or a semester away from Calvin, you will work primarily with the other school's admissions and registrar's offices.
- Determine the school you wish to attend and the course(s) you wish to take. Use the other school's website and resources to:
- Find course listings.
- Determine the course registration timeframe and process.
- Understand tuition (residency rules may apply) and billing cycles.
- Obtain approval for the transfer course from Calvin.
- Check first for pre-approved courses. Equivalencies listed in this database do not require additional approval.
- For courses that are not pre-approved, fill out the transfer credit pre-approval form.
- Note: major, minor, cognate or other program courses must be approved by an advisor prior to submitting the form.
- Apply to other school as a guest student. For Michigan schools, use the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Guest Application.
- Follow up on your application with the other school if needed, register for your course(s) and pay your tuition.
- Complete the course with a grade of C or better.
- Request an official transcript to be sent to Calvin for posting to your academic record.
Notes about non-transferrable coursework
- At least one Foundations of Christianity class must be taken at Calvin.
- Community and Commitments, as well as, Contemporary Challenges and Enduring Questions must be taken at Calvin.
- At least four upper-level courses in your major must be completed at Calvin.
Notes by core area:
Please visit our FAQ page.