Recognizing a current faculty member who is an outstanding teacher, making significant efforts to guide the lives of students in faith and in learning.
The award is granted by the Student Alumni Association on behalf of the senior class to honor a current Calvin University faculty member who has made an impact on the lives of his or her students. The recipient is an outstanding teacher, one who has made significant efforts to guide the lives of students in faith and in learning.
2022 recipient: John Ross
Eligibility and selection criteria
Only members of the current Calvin University senior class may nominate current full-time faculty members for this award. The K4L student alumni association leaders collect nominations and present finalists to the senior class for selection each year. Award criteria:
- Excellence in Teaching: This professor creates in students an excitement for learning, draws them into the subject matter and challenges their intellect.
- Spiritual Impact: This professor is a Christian role model for students, nurturing faith and facilitating spiritual growth.
- Concern for students: This professor is concerned for the welfare of the students and eager to help them learn and grow.
- 2022 - John Ross, kinesiology
- 2021 - John Wertz, biology
- 2020 - Tim Bergsma, business
- 2019 - Joe Kuilema, social work
- 2018 - Eric Washington, history
- 2017 - Ryan Bebej, biology
- 2016 - Jesse Moes, nursing
- 2015 - Matthew Heun, engineering
- 2014 - Daniel Herrick, philosophy
- 2013 - Julie Yonker, psychology
- 2012 - Scott Stehouwer, psychology
- 2011 - Renee Boss Potts, nursing
- 2010 - Pete Tigchelaar, biology
- 2009 - Cal Jen, business
- 2008 - Todd Vanden Berg, sociology
- 2007 - Joy Bonnema, biology
- 2006 - Dave Warners, biology
- 2004 - William Vande Kopple, English
- 2003 - Dale Brown, English
- 2002 - Jennifer Holberg, English
- 2001 - James Vanden Bosch, English
- 2000 - Richard Whitekettle, religion
- 1999 - Ken Bratt, classics
- 1998 - Larry Louters, chemistry