- John Ortberg
- Author and Senior Pastor, Menlo Park Presbyterian Church
John Ortberg, is passionate about "spiritual formation," which is how people become more like Jesus. His teaching brings Scripture alive and invariably includes practical applications and warm humor. John is the author of "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat" and "The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Growth for Ordinary People". His latest book, "Faith and Doubt" was just released this Fall. He has also contributed to many other books and periodicals.
During his January Series presentation we will take an honest look at the misgivings and uncertainties that often obscure our view of God. He will describe grappling with his own personal doubts as well as walking with others through the faith-shaking storms of life. We'll learn how celebrating the gift of uncertainty allows the right kinds of doubt to actually deepen our faith and intimacy with God.
- Pastor, Menlo Park Presbyterian Church Menlo Park, California, 2003 to present
- Teaching Pastor, Willow Creek Community Church, South Barrington, Illinois, 1994-2003
- Senior Pastor, Horizons Community Church, Diamond Bar, California, 1990-1994
- Senior Pastor, Simi Valley Community Church, Simi Valley, California, 1985-1990
- Baptist General Conference, 1986
- BS, Wheaton College in Psychology
- Master of Divinity and Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology from Fuller Seminary
- Post graduate studies at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland.
- John has served as an adjunct faculty member in homiletics at Fuller where he is also a member of the Board of Trustees.
John was born in Rockford, Illinois. His wife Nancy is also a seminary graduate and also served as a teaching pastor at Willow Creek Community Church. They have been married for over 20 years and have enjoyed watching their own family grow. They are parents of three children, Laura, Mallory and Johnny. They also have a dog and a cat, though they are ambivalent about the cat.
Presentations at Calvin UniversityFaith and Doubt
Part of the: January Series
- Course code: