Transferring Your SEVIS Record (Immigration)

Basic information

  • Owner(s):
  • Applies to:
    • Current Students
    • Prospective Students
  • Approved by:
    • International Admissions
  • Issued: December 1, 2021
  • Last updated: December 1, 2021

If you transfer to another college to finish your undergraduate degree, you must also transfer your SEVIS record. This allows the college to issue you an I-20.  

You will also need to transfer your SEVIS record if you go to graduate school in the U.S.  

Online graduate programs do not enable you to maintain F-1 status. If you will be doing an online graduate program from a U.S. university, you do not need to transfer your SEVIS record. You should plan to depart the U.S. or seek a change of status. 

STEM OPT only authorizes you to work for companies that are enrolled in E-verify. You can find this information on a company’s website or by contacting their human resources department. 

  1. Gain admission to a graduate school or to the school to which you would like to transfer.
  2. Contact a DSO at your new school and ask about their transfer-in procedures. They may ask you to complete a form or take other steps before starting the transfer process. 
  3. Complete Calvin’s SEVIS record transfer request form
  4. Send the completed form, along with proof of admission to another school, to the immigration coordinator. 

Q: Can I keep working on OPT or CPT after transferring my SEVIS record? 

A: No. OPT ends on your transfer release date, and you may not work after that. Your new school may offer CPT opportunities. Contact a DSO at your new school for more information.  

Q: I am travelling abroad before starting grad school. What should I keep in mind? 

A: You must have a valid I-20 and visa to return to the U.S. If your visa has expired, you should get an I-20 from your new school and apply for a new visa with it.  

Q: The school name printed on my visa does not match my I-20. Is this okay? 

A: Yes. The school printed on your visa only needs to match the school on your I-20 when you first come to the U.S. 

Q:  Do I need to renew my visa before graduate school? 

A: No. You only need a valid visa to enter and reenter the U.S. If your visa has expired and you do not plan to travel abroad before graduate school, then you do not need a new visa. 


  • Course code:
  • Credits:
  • Semester:
  • Department: