Grading Systems

Basic information

Grades given during the regular semester are designated by letters A through F, with A signifying excellent work and F signifying failure. Additional possible grades are: I, incomplete; W, authorized withdrawal; and N, unauthorized withdrawal. Grades given for honors credit are preceded by the letter H (i.e., HA-). Once completed, an incomplete remains noted with the new grade; this does not lower the calculated grade (i.e. IA-).

For purposes of averaging grades, the following numerical values or grade points are assigned to each of the above grades: A, four points per course; B, three; C, two; D, one. A plus-grade is computed at three-tenths of a point above these figures and a minus-grade at three-tenths below. Grades for courses completed as transfer credit or in cooperative programs at other colleges and universities are recorded on students’ records but are not included in the compilation of their average at Calvin.

Interim Grades: Ordinary grades for the interim are H, honors; S, satisfactory; and U, unsatisfactory. These do not carry grade point values and are not averaged in the student’s total record, but the student normally receives three semester hours toward the 124 required for graduation for each interim course satisfactorily completed. Interim courses carrying core credit and those that are also taught during the fall and spring semesters are normally graded according to the traditional letter system and will be included in the student’s average.

Graduate Workshops: Graduate workshops are graded with S and U grades only.

Audits: Auditors are given grades of AU. However, if they fail to attend classes, the instructor will report a grade of AUN.

Withdrawals: Students may alter their schedules during the first week of classes without grades of W being recorded on their records. After that time, grades of W, authorized withdrawal, will be recorded if they leave courses with the written approval of their instructors by the end of the ninth week of the semester. Students who discontinue classes without permission or notification are not entitled to a grade of W but will be given an N, unauthorized withdrawal. This grade is computed as an F in determining a student’s GPA. However, students who withdraw from school at any time with the approval of the registrar and of one of the student deans may be given grades of W in all courses.

Repeats: Students may repeat any courses by properly registering for them, but must inform the instructor when they are repeating a course. Only the latest grade, whether higher or lower, shall be included in the compilation of a student’s cumulative GPA. The original grade is not expunged from the record, but is noted as a repeated course. A student will not receive additional course credit for repeated courses.

Incompletes: If students fail to complete all the required work or to sit for the final examination, instructors may, if they consider a student’s reason valid, give a grade of I, incomplete, rather than a grade of F. The grade of I shall be computed as a neutral grade in determining a student’s GPA. Students given an I in fall semester or in interim must make up the deficiency by March 15 of the following spring semester; if given an I during the spring semester or summer session, they must make up the deficiency by October 15 of the following fall semester. If they fail to do so, grades of IN will be entered on their records. A grade of F will be altered only if a student reregisters and retakes the course in which it was given. Grades of I are never expunged from the records. When a final grade is received or the deadline is passed a new grade preceded by an I (i.e. IB+) will be rewarded.



  • Course code:
  • Credits:
  • Semester:
  • Department: