F-2s (Immigration)

Basic information

  • Owner(s):
  • Applies to:
    • Current Students
    • Prospective Students
  • Approved by:
    • International Admissions
  • Issued: December 1, 2021
  • Last updated: December 1, 2021

If you are in F-2 status, you may study part-time at Calvin. This means you may take no more than 11 credits per semester. If you wish to study full time, you must either depart the U.S. and apply for an F-1 visa before returning, or apply for change of status while remaining in the U.S.  

If you apply for change of status, it is strongly recommended that you work with an immigration attorney on your application. It can take a very long time for change of status to be approved, and you may not study full time until you are approved.  

Generally it is fastest to seek F-1 status by departing the U.S., applying for an F-1 visa, and then returning. 

If you are a new student, you may add your spouse or child/children to your SEVIS record so that they may seek F-2 status. As you go through the immigration process to receive your I-20, you will receive questions about dependents. Your I-20 will include pages for them. You will seek an F-1 visa, but each F-2 dependent who accompanies you to the U.S. will need to apply separately for an F-2 visa.   

If you are a current student and need to add an F-2 dependent to your SEVIS record, please send the following information to the immigration coordinator: 

  1. A copy of each dependent’s passport ID page.
  2. The address, e-mail, and phone number of each dependent.
  3. Recent financial documents demonstrating that you or your financial sponsor has the liquid assets to cover all costs of your education for one year (tuition, room, board, etc.), plus an additional $12,000 to support each dependent. The financial documents are required by law before Calvin can add a dependent to your SEVIS record.



  • Course code:
  • Credits:
  • Semester:
  • Department: