Extension of Stay (Immigration)

Basic information

  • Owner(s):
  • Applies to:
    • Current Students
    • Prospective Students
  • Approved by:
    • International Admissions
  • Issued: December 1, 2021
  • Last updated: December 1, 2021
  • If you intend to study as an F-1 student past the “program end date” found on your I-20, you must apply for an extension of your I-20.
  • Extension is only possible with a compelling medical or academic reason.
  • Extensions forms must be submitted at least 3 days before the end date on your I-20. If you do not submit the forms until after the end date, you will lose your F-1 status.
  • Delays due to academic suspension do not qualify a student for extension.
  • Extension of stay is not available for the purpose of pursuing additional CPT. You may seek CPT authorization only if you still have other requirements left for graduation.

Ask your advisor to fill out the extension of stay academic recommendation. Fill out the top portion before requesting that your advisor do complete the rest.

Ask your financial sponsor to fill out a statement of continued financial support. Your sponsor is whoever is paying for your education. If you are funding your own education, you may sign the form yourself.


  • Course code:
  • Credits:
  • Semester:
  • Department: