- Oral Roberts University, BA (1984)
- Princeton Theological Seminary, MDiv (1987)
- University of Notre Dame, MA (1991)
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, doctoral study (1991-92, Fulbright Fellowship)
- University of Notre Dame, PhD (1994), Dissertation: The Greek Apocalypse of Baruch (3 Baruch) in Hellenistic Judaism and Early Christianity (Leiden: Brill, 1996)
- Biblical Literature and Theology (121)
- Synoptic Gospels and Acts (221)
- Johannine Literature (222)
- Paul's Letters (223)
- Revelation and General Letters (224)
- Judaism in the Time of Jesus (321)
- C. S. Lewis (Interim DCM)
- History and literature of Early Judaism
- The Jewish context and character of the New Testament
- Early Jewish and Christian apocalypses
"Anti-Christian Polemic in the Apocalypse of Abraham: Jesus as a Pseudo-Messiah in Apoc. Ab. 29.3-14,” Journal for the Study of the Pseudepigrapha, vol. 22, no. 3 (2013): 167–183.
“Born of Fornication: The Jewish Charge of Jesus’ Illegitimacy in John, Celsus, and Origen,” in Portraits of Jesus: Studies in Christology, edited by Susan E. Meyers (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2012), 335–353.
“Early Judaism and Early Christianity,” in Early Judaism: A Comprehensive Overview, edited by John J. Collins and Daniel C. Harlow (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012), 391–419.
“Idolatry and Alterity: Israel and the Nations in the Apocalypse of Abraham,” in The “Other” in Second Temple Judaism, edited by Daniel C. Harlow et al. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011), 302–330.
The Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism, editor and contributor with John J. Collins (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010).
“After Adam: Reading Genesis in an Age of Evolutionary Science,” Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, vol. 62, no. 3 (September 2010): 179–195.
"Creation according to Genesis: Literary Genre, Cultural Context, Theological Truth,” Christian Scholars Review 37, no. 2 (2008): 163-198.
Society of Biblical Literature
Learn more about Calvin's excellent faculty and learning environment by scheduling a campus visit.Visit »
- Course code: