Data Intensive Scientific Computing at the University of Notre Dame
- Organization: University of Notre Dame
- Field(s): Big data
- Paid? Yes
- Deadline: February 18, 2017
DISC combines big data, big science, and big computers at the University of Notre Dame. The only thing missing is you!
Summer REU Program
Students in the DISC REU program will learn how to use high performance computing and big data technologies to enable new discoveries in computer science, physics, and biology. We work on grand challenge problems, like discovering new galaxies in digital imagery, discovering new fundamental particles, using gene sequencing to understand disease, predicting the effect of new drugs using computational modeling, and many more. To do this, we harness large scale computing clusters and big data systems composed of hundreds or thousands of machines, all working together in concert. To make advances in these areas, our goal is to train the next generation of scholars to be adept in both scientific domains and advanced computing techniques.
The REU program will provide on-campus housing in double rooms with air conditioning. Students will be paid a stipend of $500/week to cover meals and other living expenses. A travel allowance will be offered to defray the costs of driving, train tickets, or air travel to and from Notre Dame. Participants will be issued a Notre Dame ID which will give access to campus resources such as the library, athletic facilities, and so forth.
This year's application deadline has passed.
Applications are due by Saturday February 18, 2017.
Summer REU Program
Who Should Apply
- US citizens and permanent residents majoring in computer science, physics, or biology (and closely related fields) are eligible to apply.
- All applicants should have some programming experience and some exposure to the physical sciences.
- Students with minors or double majors across two or three of the topical areas are encouraged to apply.
- Women and minorities that are under-represented in the sciences are especially encouraged to apply.
- Thursday, December 1, 2016 - Applications open online
- Saturday, February 18th, 2017 - Applications received by this date will be given first consideration.
- Early March, 2017 - Notification of acceptance will be made.
- Monday, May 22nd, 2017 - Move into campus housing/Travel day
- Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 - REU program begins
- Saturday, July 29th, 2017 - REU program ends.
Questions / contact
- Name: Kallie O'Connell
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link: Internship webpage
- Course code: