- Saturday, May 7, 2022
- 9:00 AM–12:00 PM
- Recital Hall
Join Plaster Creek Stewards' 2022 Spring Event for a lecture and hands-on learning to restore native plants, health, and beauty to the Plaster Creek Watershed.
Floodplains, drains, and watershed gains - Where does rainwater go and what are the influences that determine whether it is a benefit or a risk to Plaster Creek?
Join us on May 7 for our annual Spring Event to find out! Discover the ways that our watershed and creek are affected by land use. Then dive into a floodplain restoration project at Leisure Creek Condominiums to make positive gains for the health and beauty of our watershed.
We will start on Calvin University's campus for a lecture and refreshments, and then carpool, if possible, upstream to Leisure Creek Condos to plant native plants and trees. This project, much like Shadyside Park, creates a lot of storage areas for stormwater and recreates wetland habitats for wildlife. Over 150 trees and 60,000 native plants will be planted, so your help is greatly appreciated! The residents at Leisure Creek Condos are grateful too, as this project also protects housing at Leisure Creek Condos from the previously eroding banks.
Like all our Spring and Fall events, this event is kid and family-friendly, so bring your family and friends to create memories together. We will have refreshments and tools, but you may like to bring a pair of your own garden gloves (we may have extra but no promises on a matching pair). Your RSVP is helpful for ordering food and preparing tools, but not necessary if you decide to come at the last minute!
- Date: Saturday May 7, 9am-12pm
- Bring: Mask for indoor education segment (optional, barring policy changes), clothes and footwear for mud and weather, water bottle
- Part I: Welcome & Keynote in the Recital Hall in Calvin's Covenant Fine Arts Center: 1795 Knollcrest Circle SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546. (View on Google Maps)
- Part II: Hands-On Restoration at Leisure Creek Condominiums. (View parking map)
- Everyone is responsible for their own transportation, but we're happy to help people coordinate. If you are interested in carpooling and are willing to drive others or need a ride, let us know by signing up for the appropriate slot. At the end of the keynote, drivers and riders can separate into groups and find each other to travel to LCC and back at the end of the event.
The registration deadline has passed.