- September 14, 2023–September 23, 2023
Dramatic landscapes and geological forces
This tour will examine geological features and the paleontological record (dinosaurs!) while also stopping at a variety of stops of general interest in the eastern Utah and southwest Colorado area. Our stops include:
- Guided walking tour of Salt Lake City
- Military Museum at Fort Douglas, an active fort from 1862-1991
- Natural History Museum of Utah, a vast collection of fossils, minerals, and plant and animal life
- Great Salt Lake
- Peruvian chair lift and scenic tram at Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Downtown Provo, a city consistently voted among the best U.S. places to live
- Dinosaur National Monument, where there are over 1,500 dinosaur fossils and interesting petroglyphs
- John Wesley Powell River History Museum in Green River, Utah
- Arches National Park with short hikes and Goblin Valley State Park
- Canyonlands National Park, Utah's largest national park, with a sound and light show cruise
- Grand Junction and Museum of the West in Grand Junction, Colo.
- Colorado National Monument
Ralph Stearley, professor of geology emeritus, earned his PhD in geology and paleontology and taught in the geology and archeology programs at Calvin University. He has led various student groups to the western U.S., and he has also taught several CALL courses, including a recent popular course on fossils. Ralph lived in Salt Lake City for a few years, during which time he served as a fossil preparator for the Utah Museum of Natural History. He has spent more than a decade doing geologic fieldwork in southwest Idaho and neighboring regions. He'll be sharing his expertise throughout the tour to enhance participants' understanding of various sites.
The tour cost is expected to be $3895, which includes flights, deluxe motor coach, all entrance fees, all breakfasts plus selected lunches and dinners, and expert tour leadership. October is still prime travel season for Utah and Colorado, and this pricing is in line with average costs in these areas. Registration is expected to open in late November.
Join Prof. Stearley for a CALL course on Utah this winter! This is a hybrid course which is available in person and online. Registration for that course opens January 3 and details will be available on the CALL website in late December.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your name added to the interest list so you'll receive full tour details when registration opens.
Calvin tours are open to any friends of CALL and the Calvin Alumni Association who wish to travel with us. Explore other Calvin-sponsored tours, too.