- September 14, 2023–September 23, 2023
From major national parks to lesser-known locales, this tour will explore the many natural wonders of eastern Utah and southwest Colorado while visiting cities such as Provo, Moab, and Grand Junction. Our stops include:
- Guided walking tour of Salt Lake City
- Military Museum at Fort Douglas, an active fort from 1862-1991
- Natural History Museum of Utah
- The Great Salt Lake
- Trolley Square shopping area
- Peruvian chair lift and scenic tram at Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Bridal Veil Falls in scenic Provo Canyon
- Dinosaur National Monument
- John Wesley Powell River History Museum in Green River, Utah
- Arches National Park with short hikes
- Goblin Valley State Park
- Canyonlands National Park, Utah's largest national park, with a sound and light show cruise
- Museum of the West in Grand Junction, Colo.
- Colorado National Monument
This trip is the best of both worlds: A general interest tour which hits all the highlights of the area, combined with an expert tour host who will provide additional insights along the way to deepen your appreciation of the national parks and state parks on the itinerary.
Ralph Stearley, professor of geology emeritus, earned his PhD in geology and paleontology and taught in the geology and archeology programs at Calvin University. He has led various student groups to the western U.S., and he has also taught several CALL courses, including a recent popular course on fossils. Ralph lived in Salt Lake City for a few years, during which time he served as a fossil preparator for the Utah Museum of Natural History. He has spent more than a decade doing geologic fieldwork in southwest Idaho and neighboring regions. He'll be sharing his expertise throughout the tour to enhance participants' understanding of various sites.
Register via Witte Travel by June 1. The tour cost is $3,895 based on double-occupancy rooms and flights from Grand Rapids (single-room supplement = $940). The price includes flights, deluxe motor coach, all entrance fees, all breakfasts plus selected lunches and dinners, and expert tour leadership. October is still prime travel season for Utah and Colorado, and this pricing is in line with average costs in these areas.
Travel insurance is offered via TravelEx for an additional fee; review the TravelEx plan for details on pricing and coverage.
Download the tour brochure [PDF] or email email@example.com with your name and address to request that a print copy of the brochure be mailed to you.
Calvin tours are open to any friends of CALL and the Calvin Alumni Association who wish to travel with us. Explore other Calvin-sponsored tours, too.
Please register by Friday, June 9, 2023 1:00 AM.