September 22-23 at Calvin University
Faithfully Advancing Sustainability Together is what this conference is all about. We are inviting high school and college students from West Michigan and beyond to join us for these two days.
Here’s some of what you can look forward to:
- Learn from expert speakers and presenters with diverse backgrounds
- Connect with peers who are passionate about sustainability
- Attain practical knowledge and skills to use in your community
- Integrate your faith with sustainability action
- Network with professionals in the field
- Create an action plan to put in place at your school
- Gain inspiration and hope for the work ahead
Early Bird Pricing
- $40 for college students
- $15 for Calvin students
- $10 for high school students
Be sure to register online and take advantage of early bird pricing through July. Lodging and meals are included for all attendees.
Please contact Tom Hartzell or call 616-526-7600.
What is the FAST Conference about?
“Meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
This quote from the 1987 United Nations Brundtland Commission is one of the earliest and best-known definitions of sustainability as we think of it today. How does it mesh with these other quotes?
- The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. — Genesis 2:15
- Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land. — Leviticus 25:24
- The earth is the LORD’s and everything in it. — Psalm 24:1
- Love the LORD your God will all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength... Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these. — Mark 12:30-31
At Calvin, we view the call to achieving sustainability not as one that originates from any person or group, but from the Creator of the universe. To meet these needs of today and tomorrow, we know that there are things we must stop doing, and there are things we need to do quickly. We need to fast, and to be fast.