If you are traveling out of the Grand Rapids areas for Thanksgiving break, or if you are a local student planning to spend time home with friends and family, we ask that you not return to campus after Thanksgiving, but rather finish your semester remotely (as all classes will be exclusively on-line after Thanksgiving). This will allow our community to remain as safe as possible, avoiding the potential introduction of the coronavirus from other areas. For those staying on-campus, all COVID policies (CampusClear App, mask and distancing protocols, etc.) will remain in place and you are asked to not travel out of the area while you remain in on-campus housing.
Thanksgiving Break Travel and Housing Policies:
- If you cannot go home and need to stay on-campus during Thanksgiving break and through the end of the Fall semester, please fill out the Thanksgiving-December Housing Request Form by Friday, November 20. You will be asked to explain your rationale for requesting on-campus housing. If your request is approved, you will be permitted to remain in your current room or apartment without needing to move, and meal plans will still be available through dinner on December 16. Halls will close at 10am on Thursday, December 17. Please note, there will be no additional fees for housing for students who are granted permission to stay on campus up until the first day of Christmas break, December 17.
- If you plan to leave campus for part of Thanksgiving break but need to return to campus housing to finish the semester on-campus, you can request an exception using the Thanksgiving-December Housing Request Form. You may be asked to self-quarantine for 72 hours or longer after your return, depending on your travels. Exceptions will be granted and communicated individually from the Housing Office.
- You should plan to leave your residence hall by Wednesday November 25th at 5pm for the final two weeks of online learning, but you can request additional time by using the Thanksgiving-December Housing Request Form.
Departing campus housing:
Before your departure (either prior to Thanksgiving or at the end of the semester), you should complete a brief self-check-out process. Instructions for your self-check-out will be provided separately, but will involve removing all trash from your room, opening your curtains, unplugging all electrical items (including refrigerators), turning off lights, and locking your door. Please be sure to pack all the items you may need for the weeks you will be gone between semesters. All rooms will be inspected for compliance and other safety-related items during the month of December, so please follow the guidelines.
Christmas Break Housing
- As in years past, Christmas break housing is available to any student who is unable to travel home, and who will not be travelling out of the area, from December 17 to January 5. For COVID safety, this year we will NOT be moving residence hall students who need Christmas break housing to the KE apartments—students in the residence halls will be allowed to stay in their rooms over the break.
- Christmas break housing for residence hall students will be $250. If you only need to stay for a few days after the semester ends, the rate will be $15/night. Please note, you cannot return to campus early or leave halfway through and come back early. The earliest arrival time after Christmas break is Tuesday, January 5th at 10am if you are taking an in-person Interim class or Sunday, January 31st at 10am if you are NOT taking an in-person Interim class.
- Although standard meal plans will not be active over the break, there may be a Christmas break meal plan option available for an additional cost based on the number of students interested. Please use the form to indicate your interest in a potential Christmas meal plan.
- Sign up for Christmas break housing and meal plans by November 20th: Thanksgiving-December Housing Request Form
Returning to campus housing for Interim or Spring semesters:
- If you are taking an in-person Interim class, you can return to campus Tuesday, January 5, after 10am. If you are NOT taking an in-person Interim class, we ask that you continue to stay home until the Spring semester begins, meaning you can return to campus on Sunday, January 31, after 10 a.m. for the remainder of the school year. Request to return on a different date through the Interim / Spring 2021 Early Arrival form.
- Please be aware of the date you are eligible to return as you make your travel plans. COVID screening will again be required (more information will be provided in the months to come) and a negative COVID screening test will be required to start classes.
Questions? Please contact Housing.
Knollcrest East Apartments are a convenient and safe option for living close to campus over Spring Break. Stay with a friend or have the KE offices place you in an available apartment.
There is no charge for current KE residents to stay during break. However, registration is still required. You will remain in your current apartment over break. Students interested in housing dorm students should contact Allison Hunt.
Spring Break housing as available March 21–28, 2020. Applications are due March 10 to allow time to process roommate requests. Applicants who apply after March 10 will be required to pay a $50 non-refundable registration fee. Sign up early to avoid late fees and to assure placement.
All Calvin University policies apply during Spring Break.
Knollcrest East Apartments are a convenient and safe option for summer living close to campus. We have full amenities, a competitive rent rate, and an RA staff who plan community events throughout summer months. Summer Housing is available from May 17–August 23, 2021.* Choose KE for your break housing needs!
Dorm students will move to RVD during transitional housing (May 15–16). KE students will remain in their own apartment for transitional housing and will move into their summer placement on May 16.
Summer residents who will be living in the dorms for Fall 2021 will be given permission to move to the dorms two weeks before class begins.
*Students who will live Off-Campus for Fall 2021 and 2021 Graduates (not returning for an extra semester) may only stay until Saturday, August 15.
Questions? Please contact Housing.